Cocklebur management?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cocklebur management?

I am slowly converting my family’s 40 acres back into prairie/savannah and have a major problem with cocklebur. Everyone I have talked to says properly timed broadcast spraying herbicides for multiple years is about the only way to tackle a problem like this.

The property is primarily used for recreation, with only a few months of grazing each year, the timing of which I should be able to control.

The property is heavy Blackland clay bottomland and stays quite soggy after rain events on wet years. For the last 30 years or so it has only either been baled or grazed (cotton or corn before that all the way back to the 1870’s), often times with pretty high stocking densities on it even with the ground saturated. My parents were essentially absentee landowners for 30 years and leased to the neighbor for whatever the Ag exempt taxes were. So, I know we have compaction and infiltration issues as well as a very high level of cocklebur seeds in the seed bank.

With the intent of converting back to tall-grass prairie, I plan to burn at least 5-10 acres of the place each year (first burn performed earlier this month)… which could cause them to explode even further.

What control mechanisms could I use to control the cocklebur, but not deplete the rest of the forb and broadleaf seed bank? Maybe controlling grazing timing and intensity? Mowing/topping at certain times? Spot spraying? Anyone with experience or knowledge with this particular plant would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only way I know is spray with 24D. Shredding won't work very well. The plants will just grow and go to seed low to the ground. Hand spray and you can pretty much control over spray. Or maybe a wipe system behind a tractor.

Comment

Spray it

Comment

Been fighting these for 10 years. In my case they're only around the house. I've pulled them, burned them, sprayed them (to infrequently apparently)... This year, as soon as anything starts to grow, I'm going to spray them weekly. Probably starting this weekend. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to see if they're edible.��

Comment

Prowl H2o is what I use.

Comment

There may be a product you can use to broadcast, but if you want to save everything but the cockleburs, spot-spraying might be your best option.

Comment

Hand spray with Grazon. You will have to do this several times every growing season for years.

Comment

Here's a ton of info...

Comment

Cockleburs are the easies plant to kill with spray. Problem is their seeds last for years. That's why I said you will have to spray a few times during the growing season. Hand spraying individual plants saves money.

Comment

Does it flood from a river or creek? If so, good luck.

I started trying to control some last year for the first time. Not a huge area but they pulled pretty easy. I also had good luck cutting them down after done growing and seeds had developed but not had the chance to finish.

Comment

Working...
                      X