Dogs Running off at Lease/Woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
    A dog that don’t listen and fun’s off, is free to go wherever he likes. Without me looking for him.

Yep this! Time to get another one then.

Comment

I trained mine in the backyard to come when she hears me hit the beep on her shock collar. That way if its windy or she is too far to hear me calling I can still command her to come. I then started training her on the shock as a punishment for disobedience on the vibration setting. If I said sit and she didn't she'd get buzzed, if I said come, etc... the rare times vibration wasn't enough incentive I'd turn it up to shock her. This has worked wonders, I was adamant for her to understand the shock was a punishment though, I have heard sometimes if you just throw the collar on them and shock them they won't understand where its coming from and will just run from the pain blindly. It has worked great for me and my dog so far. The shock collar is magic and has even helped me break my deer tracking Catahoula from chasing deer when we aren't working for the most part.
      Last edited by PoppinPiggies; 07-29-2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I have been pleased with my SportDog collar it has held up well the last 4 years I have owned it

Comment

Nothing boils my blood more than a dog that want come when called and runs off. I’ve got a blood hound like that. If she got out and strikes a deer she’ll run that thing till hell freezes over. Oh but she’s Mama’s baby !

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
            I have been pleased with my SportDog collar it has held up well the last 4 years I have owned it

I was looking at their Houndhunter one, has 2 mile radius on it, that’s impressive. I have 2 dogs…Plott Hound and a BMC/GSP. I use them for tracking but last year they both hauled butt when we got to the lease after I wasn’t paying any mind to them when un-loading the truck.

I just want a little insurance for when they bust out and don’t return from all the scents and animals they come across. They spent a week in Comstock in the canyons, I had to leave them at the lease and that was rough on the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              If the shock collar won’t fix your dog then you need a new dog
              This^

Comment

I'm not being ugly, but this should have been trained into him before he ever steps foot on a lease. My dogs are 100% trained to come, stop, go before they are ever allowed on a lease.

A running dog is not the dog's fault, sorry. A dog should be trained with distractions (other animals, people, sounds, smell) and respond accordingly before ever setting a paw on a hunting property.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                  A dog that don’t listen and fun’s off, is free to go wherever he likes. Without me looking for him.
                  ^^^this

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My first wife had 2 cats she named Ted and Tina. Yes . . . The Turners.

He was a little **** that would swat at you when you walked by and go berzerk when you tried to take him to the vet.

I dreamed of finding a little shock collar sized right for a cat, but no such luck.

They went away in the divorce.

Comment

Had a dog run off one time on about 5,000 acres. Searched for him from 3 pm till 4 am, went to take a nap. Woke up about 7, and opened the camp door. He was laying in the bed of my truck waggin his tail [emoji2359]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We had a little dog that would bolt at every opportunity. If you left a door or gate open, he was gone. If he got off his leash, he was gone. I will tell you that dog spent half his life penned up or tied up, day after day and he was bored to death. When I got old enough, I started exercising him daily for an hour or more, taking him on 2-mile leashed walks every day and the desire to roam went way down. He definitely quit trying so hard to escape. He was so bored just being tethered all the time the opportunity to experience freedom was just too exciting.

The dogs we have now are high drive and really like to patrol the area around the house. They will wonder off if you leave them out unsupervised.
                        For the most part, just give that high energy, high strung dog some exercise, and get him in a relaxed state of mind where he can learn something - like recall.
                        Keep him tired and happy and you'll have a better handle on him.

Comment

Working...
                        X