JFT Turkey Tour 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Good luck to yall! We unfortunately don't start until 4/2....North zone...

Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
      That's really slick. Do you have any pics of how/where you attached the bag to the pack?

After long hikes with my dekes sliding off my shoulder, bouncing around, and knocking my seat cushion off the magnets of my vest , I get annoyed and want to punt them all

I think I could definitely use a pack like that.
      I'll get some closer pics, but I hand sewed the whole bag with a quick stitch sewing awl. Spent 30 minutes to an hour most nights working on it. All in all probably have 8-10hrs in it.

I am thinking of adding some call holders and pockets to the shoulder straps and waist straps for quick access to calls/gear.

DSD told me they are working on something similar and hope to have it out next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
        Yankees
        TPWD switched us from the south zone last year to north zone this year. Unbelievable

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
          TPWD switched us from the south zone last year to north zone this year. Unbelievable

Wow

What county? Did they provide any explanation?

Comment

Watched the big flock again this morning…18 gobblers and 12 jakes

I’m not sure why or what they’re doing but I’ll be hunting them all weekend. The chance to have 30 birds in bow range is to appealing to pass up

Planning to set PoPo up on a couple birds that should be easier to hunt.

Comment

Comment

That's it? You couldn't find any better numbers to hunt than that?

Good luck this weekend. Us yankee hunters will be following along from the cheap seats.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                  That's it? You couldn't find any better numbers to hunt than that?

Good luck this weekend. Us yankee hunters will be following along from the cheap seats.
                  Ha! I'm not sure why they're still flocked up and away from the hens but I'm not complaining! They've been fairly consistent and roost in a favorable spot.

Just down the creek there's 25+ hens and only 3 gobblers with them...its odd to say the least

Comment

we used to have large flocks up here in Archer county and then a couple of years ago they disappeared. I didn't like those large numbers and now I miss them.

Comment

Ha! I'm not sure why they're still flocked up and away from the hens but I'm not complaining! They've been fairly consistent and roost in a favorable spot.

Just down the creek there's 25+ hens and only 3 gobblers with them...its odd to say the least
                      Alphabet soup turkeys? Times are a changing ya know.

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2022

I’m not sure why or what they’re doing but I’ll be hunting them all weekend. The chance to have 30 birds in bow range is to appealing to pass up

Planning to set PoPo up on a couple birds that should be easier to hunt.

Sounds like peak Christoval! [emoji41]..

The birds we have are all still bunched up in hens and gobblers groups as well. jakes are in their own group too. No strutting on camera yet which is weird because the hens usually always have them a boyfriend or two by now. We have 7 covert cameras out watching right now in various areas and not a single strut pic. Several in feed pens… two in strut fields. The newest one was put out in early Feb .. late start maybe?

Good luck to PoPo.. oh and you too Clay.[emoji12][emoji23]
                        Last edited by Smart; 03-18-2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                          we used to have large flocks up here in Archer county and then a couple of years ago they disappeared. I didn't like those large numbers and now I miss them.

Same thing happened to us. Except we love the large numbers. We are just starting to recover but have absolutely zero grass cover this year due to drought. Probably gonna take a hit again. We are killing every skunk, coon or fox we see

Comment

Wow

What county? Did they provide any explanation?
                            Crockett. Never did hear a reason or get an explanation. For the longest time, they had us listed in the manual as one but the map showed us in the other. Just crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                              Crockett. Never did hear a reason or get an explanation. For the longest time, they had us listed in the manual as one but the map showed us in the other. Just crazy.
                              From Jason Hardin, tpwd wild turkey program leader.....

New this year are some changes to TPWD’s north and south turkey hunting zones.

“We did change our north-south zone. Moving forward, the boundary is consistently along Highway 90 from San Antonio westward for both seasons,” Hardin said. “It used to transition and go further north. So, you might be in the north zone in the spring and south zone in the fall, and it was creating some confusion.”

TPWD reorganized the fall south zone to include Goliad, Gonzales and Wilson counties.

Hardin noted in the spring, 22 counties that were in the south zone will now be in the north zone: Bandera, Bexar, Blanco, Brewster, Comal, Crockett, Edwards, Gillespie, Guadalupe, Hays, Jeff Davis, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Kinney, Medina, Pecos, Real, Sutton, Terrell, Uvalde and Val Verde.

Comment

Drinkin a beer with PoPo on the back porch talking about tomorrows hunt and reminiscing on past years

We do the same for deer hunting or fishing or whatever but it’s not the same. Turkey hunting has been a special time for us for the last 23ish years

#livin

We’re gonna finish this beer and then go try to roost a few.

Comment

Working...
                                X