Garage ceiling replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for recommendations for a garage ceiling replacement material, process, and possibly a contractor.

We live in Burleson (not in the city limits, rural Johnson County), house was build mid-70s. As we understand it, this house was possibly a model home/office area for the builder.

I believe the garage was purposely built as "living/work area", windows in the exterior wall, AC/Heat ducted in, blown in insulation over the sheet rock ceiling. In addition, late 70s early 80s, the original cedar shake roof was caught on fire (bottle rockets). A woman that lives a couple doors down said her dad came up and put it out with a water hose.

Now, today. I'm looking to remove the sheetrock, remove the insulation, remove the ducting (along with a new AC system. Main question, go back in with sheet rock, other, no insulation? If sheet rock, how to protect from the elements/humidity?

Any other suggestions, that align with normal building practices?

Thanks in advance.

I'll look in my phone I used to have a contact out that way.

Comment

For sure use 5/8" sheetrock on the ceiling, it will help reduce sagging. If you want more protection use something like USG Mold Tough or National XP. They will resist and mold or mildew.

I'm going though remodeling my garage and I insulated everything, but the ceiling. It was already hung when I got here and it has decking on top, and I'm lazy. But I put in two ceiling fans to leave running all the time to help with moisture by always pushing air.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
        For sure use 5/8" sheetrock on the ceiling, it will help reduce sagging. If you want more protection use something like USG Mold Tough or National XP. They will resist and mold or mildew.

I'm going though remodeling my garage and I insulated everything, but the ceiling. It was already hung when I got here and it has decking on top, and I'm lazy. But I put in two ceiling fans to leave running all the time to help with moisture by always pushing air.

You a drywall guy or something??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
          You a drywall guy or something??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why yes I am! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good advice already. No real need to insulate it if you aren’t going to condition it again. Most new homes don’t have insulation over the garage. Tear-out will be messy with the blow-in up top.
            You could also do plywood instead of Sheetrock, depending on the look you are going for.

Comment

I wasn't planning on conditioning it, in fact I was going to remove the vents along with a new AC.

Is there anything you can do to protect the sheetrock prior to going up, i.e. paint the back?

And if plywood, is that within normal building codes? I'm not as worried about "look" as I am anti-sag, durability, and proper construction. BTW- I hate sheetrock.

Comment

I did OSB in mine. Painted, it looks like textured rock but you do have seams.

Comment

Corrugated metal would be a cool look with some cedar strips on the seams.

Comment

Razorback, I hate sheetrock too. That's why I bought a sheetrock hoist to put the new SR in my living room a few years ago. I've still yet to do my garage. And my brother wants it to do his garage too. So I can't sell it. But I can loan it and/or show you how to use it. It'll take a ton of work off your back.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      Razorback, I hate sheetrock too. That's why I bought a sheetrock hoist to put the new SR in my living room a few years ago. I've still yet to do my garage. And my brother wants it to do his garage too. So I can't sell it. But I can loan it and/or show you how to use it. It'll take a ton of work off your back.
                      I may need to use/rent that thing pretty soon.

Comment

Those lifts are less than $200 with a coupon at harbour freight. I bought one for a ceiling project then donated it to a church disaster relief organization when I was done. Win win

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                          Corrugated metal would be a cool look with some cedar strips on the seams.
                          That's what we did, looks good, last forever.

Comment

I understand removing the AC ducting. I didn’t see a reason it in your original post...why do you need to remove the drywall and insulation? Is it just sagging or is there old water damage from the roof fire? Why not leave it and add the new material (drywall, plywood, or corrugated metal, etc.) right over the top of what is there?

Comment

Sagging, popped at the joints, possible water damage, ugly popcorn texture.

Comment

Working...
                              X