Galveston Beach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galveston Beach?

Wife has convinced me to visit a Galveston beach this Saturday. Driving from H town. I don’t like beaches, sand, or heat so you can imagine I’m thrilled. She does like the beach so I’m not going to put up a fight.

Any advice or pointers on where to go, parking, where to get lunch, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would avoid Galveston, there was an unofficial KAPPA beach party last weekend. I have heard there's a chance it may happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
      I would avoid Galveston, there was an unofficial KAPPA beach party last weekend. I have heard there's a chance it may happen again.
      Quoted for truth. I was there and Seawall blvd was a literal parking lot for most of saturday evening.

We still managed to get some fishing in though. It was an abysmal failure though, only pulling up catfish and bait fish.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
        Wife has convinced me to visit a Galveston beach this Saturday. Driving from H town. I don’t like beaches, sand, or heat so you can imagine I’m thrilled. She does like the beach so I’m not going to put up a fight.

Any advice or pointers on where to go, parking, where to get lunch, etc...

If you want to park on the beach head to Freeport entrance 5. Go left or right.
        Boliver and high island are drivable as well. Galveston is to busy and touristy.

Comment

yote: do you like bikini's and cold beer?

Comment

I was there last Saturday. Had not been in 20 years. Kids wanted to play in the sand so gave it a shot. We did Stewart Beach. Arrived at 8:45 and parked right at the beach access. It was 15 to park and beach didn’t have many people. It really starts to fill up around lunch but we headed out at 1:30. Decided to drive the Seawall just to look and ran into a little traffic. The protests were just starting down by the big pier so we passed through just in time. Thought about stopping at a restaurant but passed. Made it home in an hour and a half with no traffic. Was not a bad quick day trip for the kids but the key is getting there early and leaving early.

Comment

You and I are in the same boat. I have this system down. Go to a beach that rents chairs and umbrellas. Bring phone, speakers and battery pack. Bring snack and cooler with drinks and beer. Set up in chair under umbrella at no time ever letting your hands touch the sand. Inform wife and kids umbrella area is a “no fun” zone, fun just allows you to get covered in sand. When they’ve had their fill walk back to car and drive home.

For those about to say there is no drinking on Galveston beaches, bring a tumbler and don’t act like a fool, no one will say a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by vmont View Post
                I was there last Saturday. Had not been in 20 years. Kids wanted to play in the sand so gave it a shot. We did Stewart Beach. Arrived at 8:45 and parked right at the beach access. It was 15 to park and beach didn’t have many people. It really starts to fill up around lunch but we headed out at 1:30. Decided to drive the Seawall just to look and ran into a little traffic. The protests were just starting down by the big pier so we passed through just in time. Thought about stopping at a restaurant but passed. Made it home in an hour and a half with no traffic. Was not a bad quick day trip for the kids but the key is getting there early and leaving early.
                This is exactly what we do. Show up early. Pay to park at Stewart Beach. Get umbrella and chairs. Cold drinks and snacks, get big *** kite in the air. Grease the kids down and turn em loose. Chill, refuel kids, re-apply 50+ sunblock to the kids, a few pics, shut it down. Bring a change of clothes and use the bathrooms and showers to get everyone reasonably clean for the ride home. In/out, and done. Tactical.

If you want to do the beach the same way a man buys Christmas presents in the Galleria, Stewart Beach is your answer.

Comment

We paid the 35 for the chairs and umbrella as well. A lot easier than dragging all your own stuff. Just need a cooler, sunscreen and a tumbler. They are popular on the beach now. Everyone seems to have one. Kids washed off and changed in the truck before we left. The bathrooms are clean in the morning but not in the afternoon.

Comment

Go have fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                      if you want to park on the beach head to freeport entrance 5. Go left or right.
                      Boliver and high island are drivable as well. Galveston is to busy and touristy.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

i second visitind freeport surfside beach..

Comment

Go to Surfside stay there.. drive into Galveston if you want to spend the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                          You and I are in the same boat. I have this system down. Go to a beach that rents chairs and umbrellas. Bring phone, speakers and battery pack. Bring snack and cooler with drinks and beer. Set up in chair under umbrella at no time ever letting your hands touch the sand. Inform wife and kids umbrella area is a “no fun” zone, fun just allows you to get covered in sand. When they’ve had their fill walk back to car and drive home.

For those about to say there is no drinking on Galveston beaches, bring a tumbler and don’t act like a fool, no one will say a thing.
                          Well played...

Comment

WE will be there next week. We always drive west a few miles, and drive right out onto the beach, put up the academy canopy at the back of the truck, and let the kids get after it. no paying to park, far less people, no walking/carrying a **** thing anywhere as the truck is arms reach from my chair. We have avoided crowds since before it was acceptable to be anti-social.

Comment

I found a new spot this past weekend I really liked. On East Beach there is a place called East Beach Cantina. You can reserve umbrella and chairs, or a canopy tent and chairs. Alcohol is allowed there and they sell beer and food as well. Was not overly crowded, and the beach was clean. You have to be careful with alcohol in Galveston, you can't have it on the beach pretty much from Stewart Beach to 61 st street.

Comment

Working...
                              X