ASF Timed Protein Feeder Not Working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s been up almost a month. Not a single picture of deer eating from it. The deer used to be fed protein from a gravity feeder. Any ideas on what is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue with mine. I have the trays that the feed falls into. i think the coons think it a coon latrine....

Comment

It's green green. The slow down for me usually happens this time of year if it has rained to green it up.

I had to mix 50lbs of corn and 50lbs of protein to get mine started in the first drop.... before I filled the rest with protein....

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        It's green green. The slow down for me usually happens this time of year if it has rained to green it up.

I had to mix 50lbs of corn and 50lbs of protein to get mine started in the first drop.... before I filled the rest with protein....

I’ll try mixing in some corn.

Comment

If it is like mine. The motor has burned up because the protein filled up around it due to lack of activity. I have replaced 2 motors. Sucks dumping 600 lbs out the bottom.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by STICKIT View Post
            If it is like mine. The motor has burned up because the protein filled up around it due to lack of activity. I have replaced 2 motors. Sucks dumping 600 lbs out the bottom.

If you're dumping that whole feeder to change a motor then you're doing it wrong. Once you drop that motor plate all you have to do is put a rag or paper towel in the hopper hole and you're good to work on it, then pull it out right before you put the plate back up. Yes, you will drop a couple pounds but not 600#.. And your motor doesn't burn up due lack of activity, the way they're designed they can spin idle with no issues..

The fact of the matter is there's too much green, at the moment. Once things dry out and heat up they'll start hitting it. Also, I always dump a bag of corn in first before any protein and then mix and then go full protein towards the top of the hopper.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
              If you're dumping that whole feeder to change a motor then you're doing it wrong. Once you drop that motor plate all you have to do is put a rag or paper towel in the hopper hole and you're good to work on it, then pull it out right before you put the plate back up. Yes, you will drop a couple pounds but not 600#.. And your motor doesn't burn up due lack of activity, the way they're designed they can spin idle with no issues..

The fact of the matter is there's too much green, at the moment. Once things dry out and heat up they'll start hitting it. Also, I always dump a bag of corn in first before any protein and then mix and then go full protein towards the top of the hopper.

Agreed on the motor change. No reason to dump all 600 lbs.

What he means by lack of activity is that the hoppers fill up after 75plus lbs have been dispersed and nothing has eaten it. The protein fills up the trays and then the chutes to the trays inside backs up to the spinner. ..and then binds it burning up the motor. I’ve never had it happen to mine because I have a high deer population that keeps the trays and hoppers clear for the most part....but ASF warns about the limits the hoppers hold on their box. I would suggest that he is over feeding time wise for his deer population if it’s happened twice. ... or not checking it enough through the year. I carry a 5 gallon buck with me during this green time of the year and will scrape the trays and the holes from the chutes if I see that my activity is less. I scrape it into that bucket and dump it back into the feeder. Most I have pulled out of one is 2/3rds a 5 gallon bucket when I first introduced it during a green period and was feeding too long. I have since not had an issue as they pretty much stand in line to eat on it. Had to turn it back up some after cutting it back then.

Comment

Originally posted by STICKIT View Post

Thanks for the heads up but i made sure not to feed more than 10lbs a day to get started. Coons will keep it from filling and burning up. Once the deer start hitting it I’ll bump it to 20lbs a day and then 30lbs a day.

Comment

Had one burn up when anthrax hit us last year. Nothing left to eat the feed.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                    Thanks for the heads up but i made sure not to feed more than 10lbs a day to get started. Coons will keep it from filling and burning up. Once the deer start hitting it I’ll bump it to 20lbs a day and then 30lbs a day.

I started out just 1 second, one time a day until they got use to it and keeping it cleaned up. I didn't want them to eat at night as well.

Comment

Cleared a jam and mixed corn and soybeans with 20% antlermax. If this doesn’t work I’m going to sell it, been nothing but a pain in the rear so far. It’d work great if the deer would eat from it but nothing so far.

Comment

Cleared a jam and mixed corn and soybeans with 20% antlermax. If this doesn’t work I’m going to sell it, been nothing but a pain in the rear so far. It’d work great if the deer would eat from it but nothing so far.

Man, to be honest it sounds like maybe the way you were doing it before worked better for you.
                        I've got a few of those and other than a timer on one, they've been trouble free, I haven't changed anything else in 3 years of solid run on them so far. It also really sounds like you were trying to feed way to much to start with, I would've waited until I saw consistent activity before I moved the feed amount up to that level.

Comment

Hope those protein pellets don’t clog up your feeder and make you throw away a good feeder because you did something 95% of folks don’t recommend. Run pellets through an element exposed corn spincaster...Hopefully the funnel hole is wide enough to run any protein .

Comment

Y’all need some dukes coon killers.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Hope those protein pellets don’t clog up your feeder and make you throw away a good feeder because you did something 95% of folks don’t recommend. Run pellets through an element exposed corn spincaster...Hopefully the funnel hole is wide enough to run any protein .
                              He's talking about the protein feeder, but mixing the soybeans and corn with the protein. I think a 3 second throw 2xs a day until they clean it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X