No announcement yet.

2020 catfish thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set out some jug lines for about 24 hrs, checking them a few times in that span. Ended up with 20 channels up to 5 lbs and this girl.
    Attached Files

Comment

Rtp........wow
      I caught them as fast as I could get them in the boat yesterday on LOP
      Under corks in 4 foot of waterClick image for larger version

Name:	9D1BC032-9DD9-4987-8A3E-53B84AEE3519.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	24613830

Click image for larger version

Name:	C339EE89-A588-4467-A03B-5B3B8E2B1877.jpeg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	24613831

Comment

2020 catfish thread

Today my next door neighbor pulled in the twin to my big fish. It literally weighed the same to the ounce. What are the odds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          Today my next door neighbor pulled in the twin to my big fish. It literally weighed the same to the ounce. What are the odds?

Hey man, did you weight that biggun? Looks like it would scare 50# or so! Great catch!

Comment

Picked up another big one in the San Saba river. 40” long and right at 30 lbs
            Attached Files

Comment

Real pretty fish! In East Texas, when they get like that, it's because they've been layin' round/feeding on a sand bar... (well, that's what the old folks used to say... )

Comment

Set out some jug lines for about 24 hrs, checking them a few times in that span. Ended up with 20 channels up to 5 lbs and this girl.
                How deep of water? Open water or river channel?

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                  How deep of water? Open water or river channel?
                  In about 18 fow. This is a 900 acre lake and I had my jug just off a main creek channel near some submerged timber.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Hey man, did you weight that biggun? Looks like it would scare 50# or so! Great catch!
                    Good eye Charlie.....He was 46" long and weighed 49.8 lbs. Im going with 50,

Comment

You need to learn how to hold them out so people guess 80-100 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        You need to learn how to hold them out so people guess 80-100 pounds
                        Three shoulder surgeries later....that aint happening.

Comment

I've got a LOT of experience with those big appaloosas cats! Heck when we were fishing for 'em regular, I could guess within 3-5 pounds of what he'd weigh before I ever saw him by the way he fought...

If you fish for big ops an blues regular, you need to make you up a fighting line/hook. My dad called it a "yo-yo" line. Here's a pic of a tight radius hook that you can make out of heavy duty coat hanger or other wire.

Name:	Yo-Yo-hook.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	24613911

Once you got the hook made, tie a heavy nylon cord (#36 or larger) to it and roll it up on one of those floats the bass fishermen used to use to mark fishing spots when they were fishing open water... Whether jug or trot-line fishing, if you have a big fish on, just hook that tight radius hook to your main line and when fighting the fish, if he wants to pull hard, just drop the trot-line or jug line and fight him with the yo-yo line... Don't let him pull hard and pretty soon he'll tire out. If it's an op, after 2 or 3 runs, he'll stop and blow out a big bunch of bubbles... you can then slowly raise him up and net him. Net him from the head, because when you touch him with that dip net, he'll come to life all over again and you want him to run in the bottom of the net! If you try to net him from the tail, when that net touches him, he'll take off and you're likely to lose him or if you don't you'll have to begin the fighting process all over again until he blows out the bubbles again. With that yo-yo, you can fight and land a mighty big fish on a pretty small hook and line as long as you don't let him pull hard against your line. Just give him slack and let him run until he tires out.

Blues fight totally different. They don't hardly ever quit. plus they shake their head and jerk around a lot. They require some real finesse when fighting them so you don't let them jerk hard against the line and tear the hook out or straighten it, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            I've got a LOT of experience with those big appaloosas cats! Heck when we were fishing for 'em regular, I could guess within 3-5 pounds of what he'd weigh before I ever saw him by the way he fought...

If you fish for big ops an blues regular, you need to make you up a fighting line/hook. My dad called it a "yo-yo" line. Here's a pic of a tight radius hook that you can make out of heavy duty coat hanger or other wire.

[ATTACH]999577[/ATTACH]

Once you got the hook made, tie a heavy nylon cord (#36 or larger) to it and roll it up on one of those floats the bass fishermen used to use to mark fishing spots when they were fishing open water... Whether jug or trot-line fishing, if you have a big fish on, just hook that tight radius hook to your main line and when fighting the fish, if he wants to pull hard, just drop the trot-line or jug line and fight him with the yo-yo line... Don't let him pull hard and pretty soon he'll tire out. If it's an op, after 2 or 3 runs, he'll stop and blow out a big bunch of bubbles... you can then slowly raise him up and net him. Net him from the head, because when you touch him with that dip net, he'll come to life all over again and you want him to run in the bottom of the net! If you try to net him from the tail, when that net touches him, he'll take off and you're likely to lose him or if you don't you'll have to begin the fighting process all over again until he blows out the bubbles again. With that yo-yo, you can fight and land a mighty big fish on a pretty small hook and line as long as you don't let him pull hard against your line. Just give him slack and let him run until he tires out.

Blues fight totally different. They don't hardly ever quit. plus they shake their head and jerk around a lot. They require some real finesse when fighting them so you don't let them jerk hard against the line and tear the hook out or straighten it, etc.
                            Thanks, I'll make one of those to keep in the boat. I plan to fish for those big'uns more and more.

Comment

We have been getting a few in jugs in the Guadalupe River and some nice eater channels on worms in the small creek on the farm. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2253.jpg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	24613931

Name:	IMG_2289.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	24613932

Name:	IMG_2291.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	24613933

Comment

We’ve been catching some decent ones off jug lines in Lake Houston. Most of them are at 6-7’ on perch or Shad. Any tips for hooking bigger fish I’m all all ears.

Comment

Working...
                                X