Building a Side by Side Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Side by Side Roof

I cannot find a roof that I like that will fit the Lightbars I have on my buggy. I currently have a piece of bedlined 3/4 plywood, works fine no problem. Just not presentable enough. I want all bars flush mounted, for protection, and a flat top to rest a bipod on. Planning on building a high rack as well for it. Need opinions:

- Use current 3/4 plywood, add top cap and trim, and fiberglass it

- Use 14 gauge plate and cut and grind everything, including bending by scoring with a grinder

- use 16 gauge plate and use uncle's shear and brake and pay him for it, then weld misc pieces

Last picture is what I have in mind. They don’t sell a roof to fit mine. Nor will they customize one to fit. Others sell them but I don’t really want to get rid of the 50” lightbar that I spent a good chunk of change on to adapt to what others have.
    Last edited by justindiehl7; 09-22-2020, 03:30 PM.

If you can weld it, I like the idea of the 16 ga sheet broke and welded. You can just about duplicate that. Or maybe do the same with 1/8" aluminum diamond plate. That would look pretty cool all welded tight.

Comment

If you have the ability to build a metal roof that is what I would do using your Uncles shear and brake would make it easier and more than likely look better

Comment

What about buying the rest of the cage from Honda and that roof? I would do the metal roof, brake will give the best results. That said, if I had to pay my uncle to use a tool, he wouldn't ever hear from me again so I'd end up building it the hard way. Just my $0.02

Comment

Someone did a diy with metal. They scored the bends with a grinder and it bent easy.

Mine is aluminum me and a buddy did in his garage. I got maybe 75 bucks including the bedliner in it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
            What about buying the rest of the cage from Honda and that roof? I would do the metal roof, brake will give the best results. That said, if I had to pay my uncle to use a tool, he wouldn't ever hear from me again so I'd end up building it the hard way. Just my $0.02
            I thought about doing that but the problem is i want a high-rack, and I use my bed often and the rollcage would get in the way. Already thought about selling and buying a 4 seater but don't really want to do that either.

Comment

Buy a plate of diamond plate. Cut the corners out and take it to a welding shop that will bend it for you. Then we’d it up

That’s what i did

Comment

On my old mule I laid out the design, measurements, angles and overhangs. Took it to a fab shop and they cut everything out on their Cnc lasers then used a brake to bend it and they welded the seams for me while it was there for an extra $10. Saved me having to mess with welding it at the house. Then added my light bars and rhino lined it when I got it home.

All in I think I paid them $150 for the metal and all fab work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                  If you have the ability to build a metal roof that is what I would do using your Uncles shear and brake would make it easier and more than likely look better
                  Do this ^^^. I wish I had a brake when I built mine.

Do your best to make sure to address any potential rattling from happening.

Comment

Working...
                  X