No announcement yet.

20-21 Bois De Arc Caddo National Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are only 2 units...North and South...901N Bois D'Arc and 901S Ladonia...

Comment

My post was unclear, apologies. Bois D'Arc and 901N being the same place/area

Comment

Not sure how accurate the unit numbers are, but here is the map I was referring to.
        Attached Files

Comment

Where is the above map from? I don't think I've seen the numbered hunt compartments before, at least not from TPWD

Comment

Originally posted by TomSawyer View Post
            Where is the above map from? I don't think I've seen the numbered hunt compartments before, at least not from TPWD
            downloaded from here:

Comment

Your post in the other Caddo thread has me thinking hard about Bois D'Arc and the 901 North Unit.

"So I called and talked to the guy who runs the harvest reporting, he said that the deer population is only like 1 deer per 157 acres. No does were harvested at all last season, and only 16 bucks were taken between Ladonia and Bois De Arc COMBINED. 9 of which were taken during rifle season opener and checked at the mandatory deer check stations in person. "

Were these statistics were from 2019/2020's whitetail season? If so, it sounds like 901 North is going to make for a trying season..
              Yes, those are the most recent harvest reporting from last year

Comment

Your post in the other Caddo thread has me thinking hard about Bois D'Arc and the 901 North Unit.

"So I called and talked to the guy who runs the harvest reporting, he said that the deer population is only like 1 deer per 157 acres. No does were harvested at all last season, and only 16 bucks were taken between Ladonia and Bois De Arc COMBINED. 9 of which were taken during rifle season opener and checked at the mandatory deer check stations in person. "

Were these statistics were from 2019/2020's whitetail season? If so, it sounds like 901 North is going to make for a trying season..
                Well I WAS feeling pretty good about drawing a doe tag for Caddo, until this.

Still not sure if I'll be back from deployment in time for my Laguna hunt and Caddo is close enough to the house for a easy day/occasional half day hunt, so it'll be my main freezer filling bid despite the low numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by rysfade View Post
                  Well I WAS feeling pretty good about drawing a doe tag for Caddo, until this.

Still not sure if I'll be back from deployment in time for my Laguna hunt and Caddo is close enough to the house for a easy day/occasional half day hunt, so it'll be my main freezer filling bid despite the low numbers.
                  They already did the drawing, I put in for the USFS doe tag as well and I was not selected. However, it is my understanding that you can still harvest a doe during bow season, it isn't until rifle season opens on Nov 7th that you need the USFS tag for does.

Comment

And honestly, with such low deer populations, I was questioning if I even wanted to shoot a doe at all or only take a buck. The entire point of the USFS tags is to limit the amount of does taken and improve the herd numbers, no?

Comment

Originally posted by firemedic731 View Post
                      They already did the drawing, I put in for the USFS doe tag as well and I was not selected. However, it is my understanding that you can still harvest a doe during bow season, it isn't until rifle season opens on Nov 7th that you need the USFS tag for does.
                      Yeah, I managed to snag a doe tag this year but am surprised to see that no one hauled one out of there last year. I wonder how many of that was people passing over them vs not seeing them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by rysfade View Post
                        Yeah, I managed to snag a doe tag this year but am surprised to see that no one hauled one out of there last year. I wonder how many of that was people passing over them vs not seeing them at all.
                        Thats assuming that everyone reported their harvest the way they were supposed to, not just tagging it and leaving without calling it in or using the app.

Comment

anyone else been out and having any luck?

Comment

Originally posted by Code View Post
                            There are only 2 units...North and South...901N Bois D'Arc and 901S Ladonia...
                            https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...s/901NandS.pdf

Is the Lake Fannin Unit no longer a part of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Heading out tomorrow AM. I went and scouted opening weekend of bow season and there were about 8 or so trucks. I’ll be interested to see tomorrow’s traffic for second weekend of gun.

Comment

Heading out tomorrow AM. I went and scouted opening weekend of bow season and there were about 8 or so trucks. I’ll be interested to see tomorrow’s traffic for second weekend of gun.
                                How did you do? I am still bow hunting, so I am hunting week days to avoid the crowds and guns as much as possible. I took a doe back on October 6th.

The sign seems to be a lot less this year. Last year I was finding some nice fresh rubs pretty frequently, but not so much this year. I haven't really seen much rutting activity either. Dead deer are starting to show up on the side of 82 though, so maybe they're starting to run. that or they're just "locked down" or pushed onto private, i saw a doe cross from public to private mid day the other day. I haven't seen any bucks the last 3 sits. Before rifle started, I was seeing a buck a sit. I passed on 2 spike's, a little 6 point right at his ears and a small 8 right at his ears, both were only 1.5 years old probably. I did end up having some rifle hunters walk past my camera on a scrape though, pretty disappointed and surprised, it was about a mile and a half back in.

Comment

Working...
                                X