Overreacting or Paranoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overreacting or Paranoid?

So I am an ag teacher and have been for the last 12 years. My wife and I had always taught in the same district until she went back to school. This meant we went through our day together for the most part and I was home with her after dark. Plus, I was only 10 minutes away in case there was any issue. I always traveled a bit because of my job and never thought much about leaving her alone. For the most part she usually went to stay with her parents, so I didn’t have much concern about her being home alone. Fast forward to 2 years ago she went to school full time and I became in charge of our boys for the majority of the afternoons and evenings. This usually meant that I was home before her and rarely was she home alone after dark. Well, this year I moved jobs and now have a longer commute with the same long hours. Hasnt been a big issue for us but has been a bit of an adjustment. So tonight I call her on my way home to let her know I am on my way. A few minutes later I get a call back from her asking how to get into my bedside safe and if the gun in there is loaded. I asked why and she said some strange woman just came to he door and didn’t speak very good English apparently trying to sell something. Mind you, this is 8:30 at night. Im freaking out at this point thinking the worst. I turned my flashers on and flew home at 80-90 thinking that it was a group of thugs casing my house waiting for a time to break in or at the least steal something from the outside. I get home and all is well, but I give her a long lecture about opening the door after dark while alone, home invasions, rape, murder, and all the bad stuff on the news nowadays. I can tell she is a little bit upset at that point so I ease up.

My question is, am I just being paranoid and overreacting? I don’t want to scare her but at the same time I want her to realize how some people are. I t amazes me sometimes how she can walk around Walmart and get concerned when someone goes down the same isle as her too many times, but she will open the front door to a stranger after dark. It was a ver unnerving situation for me because I was thinking the worst possible scenario, which is something I have tendency to do since going through my LTC class. Just wondering if I may have just let me paranoia get the better of me.

No that’s legit. I wouldn’t want my wife opening the door after dark unless it was someone we knew was coming over, ie they texted or called. And I live in a tiny town of less than 2,000

Get her to the gun range, make sure she knows how to access and is capable to use the gun

Comment

Nope I would have done the same as you!! But I’d have loaded 1-2 more and hid around the house.

It seems that people today don’t care about anyone else but themselves. And will get what they want no mater how or who they hurt. I preach to my wife and kids all the time about this. I think fear can be a good tool. Will make someone stop and think. She will have second thoughts next time (if there is one) about answering the door at night. Glad everyone is ok.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Next time have her or you just call local police or your county SO if you think there could be an issue. You flying home could get yourself or someone else hurt. Call them and have the person checked out and find out if they are legit.

Comment

In my opinion you are just in being upset. I suggest having some conversations with her on safety and situational awareness. Glad everyone is ok! Use this as a learning moment.

My wife is from California and was clueless when we first got married to situational awareness and firearm safety. There have been Quite a few learning moments over the years. Most LTC classes can point you in the right direction of a firearms instructor to give her lessons on basic weapon safety/handling/shooting. To get her comfortable before taking the LTC course.
          Last edited by Tracyusaf07; 08-22-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Well, we live in a town of less than 400, but we live on the highway. I have tried to get her to do some shooting and she keeps refusing stating, “I don’t need to know how to do that.”

Unfortunately because we live on the county line (literally our property is divided) we spend more time trying to explain to the local SO dispatch that we actually live in Rusk County. And their response time is usually too long to be effective. Not saying anything bad about or local law enforcement, just a part of living where I live.

Hopefully this will make her think, but I don’t want to totally freak her out or upset her too badly. I just want her to realize the need to know. I may have made a dent though. She did say I could sign her up for the next LTC class, so I guess it wasn’t a total overreaction. I just want her to be more situationally aware, as mentioned.
            Last edited by Bucksaw; 08-22-2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Knox View Post
              Next time have her or you just call local police or your county SO if you think there could be an issue. You flying home could get yourself or someone else hurt. Call them and have the person checked out and find out if they are legit.
              This is very correct. I would rather check a suspicious person call and drive around the neighborhood tryin to identify the person than hear something happened to your neighbor because no one called the concern in. You would be surprised how many home invasions are prevented this way.....just me driving a marked patrol unit around in the area and making contact with someone like your wife freaks out the turds. glad everyone is ok but he's right, give us a call next time. won't hurt.....heck it may be a while before someone gets out there if there's a bunch of priority calls holding but we will go.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                This is very correct. I would rather check a suspicious person call and drive around the neighborhood tryin to identify the person than hear something happened to your neighbor because no one called the concern in. You would be surprised how many home invasions are prevented this way.....just me driving a marked patrol unit around in the area and making contact with someone like your wife freaks out the turds. glad everyone is ok but he's right, give us a call next time. won't hurt.....heck it may be a while before someone gets out there if there's a bunch of priority calls holding but we will go.
                Good point. Thanks.

Comment

I live down a dead in road in the country. Pipeline crews are close by. Wife calls one day says there is a man in our back pasture wondering around. I call the pipeline people not one of there guys I call our electric company. Not one of their guys. So I call my deputy buddy and he sends out a unit. They find the guy. He was lost looking for another pipeline a mile from me. My wife was mad I sent out a deputy. I was proud my middle son covered the back door with a 357 and my youngest covered the front door with a 9mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    No that’s legit. I wouldn’t want my wife opening the door after dark unless it was someone we knew was coming over, ie they texted or called. And I live in a tiny town of less than 2,000

Get her to the gun range, make sure she knows how to access and is capable to use the gun
                    Word

Comment

I'm not sure I can relate since my wife would have never answered the door unless it was someone she knew well. Even then, probably not.

Comment

Random but I’m new, I joined to gain more knowledge and also to look for used bows now that my cam just blew right before season. Do I have to wait 30 days and post 30 times to all these threads before I can see what everyone is trying to sell??

Comment

Why would you not have a way for your wife to get into your safe?

Comment

Just a good teaching moment, gather the entire family and talk about it. While your at it go over what needs to happen in case of a real break in or fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm trying to imagine a situation where either of us couldn't reach a loaded gun within about 1.5 seconds....

Get that woman a gun and teach her to shoot it.

Comment

Working...
                              X