Hay lease prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay lease prices

If I were to lease out about 10 acres of decent coastal hay pasture that I own for hay production, what would be a fair price per acre to charge?

We do 2 to 1 We get one he gets 2

Comment

Honestly we turn down more free than we can handle. We take care of the land. Lime, fertilizer, gopher poison. I’ve got too much in it to “do 1/3’ of whatever “

And on 10 acres... I’d let someone take care of it in exchange for production

Comment

What the market will bear. If the field is close to someone who wants to lease it, they will be willing to pay more. Some guys in our area won't move their hay equipment for a small 10 Acre field.

Comment

I pay 33$ an acre at 30 acres basically 1,000. for a place across the road that has good Alicia grass on it. Really convenient. So far on two cuttings I’m at 6.2 bales per acre. Should get another cut in fall to get me to 8 bales per acre

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
            If I were to lease out about 10 acres of decent coastal hay pasture that I own for hay production, what would be a fair price per acre to charge?
            I have a similar hay question. I made a deal with a local for 60/40, him/me. Should I make him buy the 40? and if so, how much to charge considering a bale is $75 at the local retail store?

Comment

Originally posted by etxranch View Post
              I have a similar hay question. I made a deal with a local for 60/40, him/me. Should I make him buy the 40? and if so, how much to charge considering a bale is $75 at the local retail store?
              I might be confused on the question.

Is he covering the baling? If so he won’t pay market value ($25-$35 in baling alone... plus if he’s invested in herbicides and or fertilizer)

Comment

On the other hand I just paid $27 per roll to have some pasture bailed.

Comment

Originally posted by etxranch View Post
                  Why would he buy the 40? If you don't want it or to deal with selling it he can probably sell it for you or introduce you to someone that will buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by RPB View Post
                    I pay 33$ an acre at 30 acres basically 1,000. for a place across the road that has good Alicia grass on it. Really convenient. So far on two cuttings I’m at 6.2 bales per acre. Should get another cut in fall to get me to 8 bales per acre
                    Thanks, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I am keeping none of the hay. He would be doing all the work and keeping all the hay. I just own the land.

Although $33/ac is actually much higher than other numbers I have heard.

Comment

Probably $3-7/bale and they keep it sprayed and fertilized, but finding someone for 10 acres will be your problem.

Comment

I have a local gentleman cutting my 10 acres that we live on for free, he doesn't do anything to improve my pasture and Just cuts one or two times a year and keeps all the hay. Like mentioned above everyone in my area LIberty Tx, has to much hay already so I have to almost beg him every time to come cut it. If any TBH Member in the Liberty Tx area is interested shoot me a PM. Would rather donate mine back to the TBH community. SO with all that being said I think it really matters where your located at and how convenient it is for someone.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          Probably $3-7/bale and they keep it sprayed and fertilized, but finding someone for 10 acres will be your problem.
                          This is always my problem, Not many people want to fool or load up equipment for just 10 acres.

Comment

Long story on the 33 acres. I had the land for hay and planted it with Alicia. The neighbor weaseled his way into the lease one year when my equipment was broke down. I asked him to cut it for me and he said only if he could keep it. I said sure it was only one cutting. Next thing I know he tells the owner that I was giving the pasture up. He had it for a few years. And let it go downhill. I came Into a good situation and decided I was going to get it back. He is sill scratching his head how now have it again. I sell the hay off of it that I don’t need which is enough to cover pasture rent.

Not sure how you figure a bale but around here if you own the land and have someone come in it’s 30-35 a bale for cut, rake, bale

Add 12-14$ for fertilizer a bale and 5$ for weed spray and your into it for 50$.

I’m a firm believer if you use less than 100 bales a year for yourself you should buy hay instead of trying to make it. Put cows on that hay patch and help recoup your hay expense

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              I might be confused on the question.

Is he covering the baling? If so he won’t pay market value ($25-$35 in baling alone... plus if he’s invested in herbicides and or fertilizer)
                              He is covering the baling but no herbicides or fertilizer. I think baling is $25/bale in the area.

Comment

Working...
                              X