Heading to Yellowstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading to Yellowstone

Heading to Yellowstone in a couple weeks. Any recommendations on trails to hike and things to see other than old faithful?

No advice here because I've never been. It's on my bucket list... Be safe and send pics here when you decide!

Comment

The cutthroats in the Buffalo and Shoshone, on the east side between the park and Cody are fantastic!

Comment

Spend time in Haden and Lamar valleys early in the morning and late in the evening. Tons of wildlife.

Comment

It's a big beautiful place. We drove around for 3 days and still did not see it all.
          Had little kids so did not hike many trails.

Comment

It’s been 18 years since I’ve been, but I would suggest doing old faithful first to get it out of the way so you can say you did it. (It’s cool, but there is a whole lot of cooler stuff to see IMO)

We stayed in west Yellowstone MT, they have/had a really cool bear and wolf sanctuary that we did one day that I would suggest

Comment

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone was awesome

We stopped at Grand Teton National Park on the way back and I think Jackson Lake right on the Tetons is the prettiest place I’ve ever been. You can rent boats, canoes, paddle boards or just go swimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Say Hi to John Dutton

Comment

Drive to the NE entrance and up to Red lodge. This will take you through the Lamar valley which is a great place for wildlife and the drive outside the park is breathtaking. If you have time, drive further and hit Bear Tooth Pass. Old Faithful, Grand Canyon, Grand Prismatic Springs, and Mammoth Springs are going to be the highlights.

As long as your in the area, Grand Teton is a must see and has one of the best trails in the lower 48. Cascade Canyon is behind Jenny Lake and takes you between the Tetons. It's a 16 mile hike but you can knock 4 miles off taking the shuttle across the lake. Here's a close up of the entrance to the canyon.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Are you flying in or driving? Car or RV? There is so much to see and do that you will be hard pressed to even do most of it in 3-4 days. My favorite is to see it for a while, then go down to Jackson Lake and Jenny Lake in Teton Park. Definitely go to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point on the other side of Jenny Lake. The shuttle boat across the lake is fun, and a great time saver. Cuts off 5 miles of the hike around the lake. If you want to do the entire loop trail, it is about 7.5 miles and beautiful way. Pretty reasonable terrain and not a lot of elevation change.

Comment

Go spend a few days in the back country!

Comment

We are flying and renting a car. Staying outside a different entrance each night.

Comment

Went a few weeks ago and if I ever go back I’ll spend the whole time in Lamar Valley. It’s all beautiful but the North East region of the park is the best for seeing wildlife including wolves.

Comment

Cody is a whole day itself. See the museum, watch the gun fights at the Irma, eat at the Irma.
                            Jackson and the Tetons are a nice area, lots of tourists though. Early morning to get in the park and see some sights are best.
                            Stay well away form the bison, you can get an up close look perhaps at the elk ranch, Moran Junction, or just off the Gros Ventre Rd in Teton Park.
                            The cow elk are also animals to avoid near the stores etc...
                            Red Lodge is a very nice drive.
                            Eat at Gun Barrel in Jackson, kids will like it and the food is not bad.
                            Good beer and liquor made in and near Jackson as well.
                            You also need to go in and out the original entrance on the north end, the original arch is still there.
                            If you do some back country hiking get bear spray and do not leave it in your car ever, it can explode.

Comment

Stay away from the bison

Comment

Working...
                              X