New dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New dog

I've been away for awhile due to my hectic schedule. Anyway, wanted to share a photo of my dog. My brother in law's cousin's dogs had a litter of 7 and I was able to get one of them. The dad is full american lab and the mom is half lab and something else (That I am pretty certain of).

We started training the day he got home at 9 weeks old and he is now 17 weeks. He's doing fantastic with obedience and retrieving on cue. He's been doing some blind retrieve too, even though it's a little early for that. We were originally training only for upland hunting but waterfowl hunting peaked my interest so we may try that next year. He's already retrieving bumpers from the middle of the ponds. So far so good

This dove season will be his first hunt but I'm only taking him to guide him and see how he reacts in the field.. not expecting him to be a pro just yet

Comment

Comment

Comment

Good looking chew machine..............

Comment

Good looking dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great looking pup

Comment

Great looking pup! He's the same age as our Boykin

I'm sure you know, but be sure to introduce gunfire the right way.

Comment

good looking dog

Comment

Congrats! Great lookin pup!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                      Good looking chew machine..............
                      haha he's pretty good with his obedience training so he hasn't chewed anything that he's not supposed to. He has a ton of toys to get him through his puppy stage

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                        Great looking pup! He's the same age as our Boykin

I'm sure you know, but be sure to introduce gunfire the right way.
                        Thanks everyone and yes, we will be going to the range this weekend although I think he will be just fine. He didn't care for the fireworks during J4 and when we were having crazy storms here, the loud thunder didn't bother him once. I even try distracting him with pots and pans (I know, it sounds stupid) but he just looks at me like I was crazy.

Comment

Nice looking dog! Good luck with the training...it's addicting working with those critters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterlo70 View Post
                            haha he's pretty good with his obedience training so he hasn't chewed anything that he's not supposed to. He has a ton of toys to get him through his puppy stage
                            I think introducing him to gun fire at a shooting range may be a bit much. Unless you park far away and keep him entertained while slowly walking him closer. I introduced my lab to gunfire by having my son fire his 20 gauge from about 100 yards away, while we played fetch. I would slowly chunk the bumper closer to my son while keeping the pups encouragement level up. About a week of that and before you knew it he was right by my side only this time I was doing the shooting and my son was chunking the bumper. Consistency is the key. Your not only training him, but also your family. All commands have to mean the same thing from your family to the pup. It's frustrating at times but it was great watching him develop into a good bird dog. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                              I think introducing him to gun fire at a shooting range may be a bit much. Unless you park far away and keep him entertained while slowly walking him closer. I introduced my lab to gunfire by having my son fire his 20 gauge from about 100 yards away, while we played fetch. I would slowly chunk the bumper closer to my son while keeping the pups encouragement level up. About a week of that and before you knew it he was right by my side only this time I was doing the shooting and my son was chunking the bumper. Consistency is the key. Your not only training him, but also your family. All commands have to mean the same thing from your family to the pup. It's frustrating at times but it was great watching him develop into a good bird dog. Good luck.
                              Yes, I plan to stay in the parking lot for a bit before moving in closer. I'm not just going dive head in. I think that would be bad even though it seems he will not be gun shy unfortunately, I don't really have a place for me to shoot freely without being at the range. I appreciate your advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X