Ammo Advice - 6.5 Creedmoor on Pronghorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammo Advice - 6.5 Creedmoor on Pronghorn

I am going to be hunting pronghorn in NM this fall. Shots should be between 100-400 yards. I have the Hornady 129 grain Interlock American Whitetail ammo that has worked well on hill country whitetail. Would this also work on the pronghorn at those distances? If not, what ammo would you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think they'd work fine. My buddies son shot one at 100 yards and killed it with a .223....I don't think they're all that tough.

Comment

Anything you used to kill Texas whitetail will definitely kill a pronghorn. As stated above, they're not very tough.

Comment

Great. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last fall I saw a Pronghorn shot with a 6.5cm at 325 yards with hand loaded 120gr Hornady SST and the then I shot one at 75 yards with my 6.5cm, 143 hr. ELDx hand loads.
          Both Pronghorn were DRT.
          I think your loads will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
            Would this also work on the pronghorn at those distances?
            Yep

Comment

Pronghorn have very thin hide, covered by very fragile hollow hair and a huge vital zone for their overall size. About any factory loaded 6.5 CM you can find that shoots well in your gun will be the perfect pronghorn bullet I'd think the 143 ELDX would be a great candidate for performance and bucking the wind that is always present in antelope country.

Comment

A big bodied,well feed buck normally doesn’t exceed 116 on the hoof.

I’ve killed them with a 22-250 all way up to 300wm.

You are over thinking the easiest to kill native ungulate in NA.

Out of 20 something pronghorn, think I’ve only killed one over 400 yards. I’ve gotten to the point I only use bow now.

Comment

that will be plenty of power for antelope!

Comment

I hope I can win one of these draws and have a chance at a pronghorn as well. Looking to take something with my new 6.5 this season.

Comment

Working...
                    X