Turkey locator calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey locator calls

Blessed that my neighbor granted permission to hunt property for spring turkeys outside of Llano.
    I don’t have much experience with the place- did hear turkeys in the fall.

I don’t know where they roost in the spring or their daily daily routine. Called a few hens on quick scouting trip yesterday afternoon- but no gobbling.

What is your favorite locator call? Would a crow call spook them if there aren’t any crows in the area? Anyone have luck with an owl call?

Thinking our best next step it to get there before daylight and hope to hear them early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honk your horn

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
      Blessed that my neighbor granted permission to hunt property for spring turkeys outside of Llano.
      I don’t have much experience with the place- did hear turkeys in the fall.

I don’t know where they roost in the spring or their daily daily routine. Called a few hens on quick scouting trip yesterday afternoon- but no gobbling.

What is your favorite locator call? Would a crow call spook them if there aren’t any crows in the area? Anyone have luck with an owl call?

Thinking our best next step it to get there before daylight and hope to hear them early.

A hot gobbler will “shock” gobble to any loud noise. A shutting car door, a distant gun shot, almost everything but a coyote howl. So no a crow call won’t spook them.

I prefer an owl hoot at dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
        This is what you need to do. It is early right now and I have been out 5 days so far. I've heard what I would describe as "great" gobbling action 1 day where I was able to locate 5 different groups of birds. 2 other days only certain birds were vocal and 2 days it was very limited gobbling at all.

Got and get still and listen as the morning comes alive. They will likely be in the biggest trees in the area, so if there is a ridge above a creek bottom that is where I would go sit.

Comment

Slam you car door.

Comment

Learn to hoot like an owl, slam car door and honk your horn or you can just holler something like "Get outta my tree". Turkeys on a roost will gobble at about any strange or loud noise.

Comment

Loud is the key. It doesn't have to be a natural sound.

Comment

My truck came with six of them.

Slam any door, the tailgate or honk the horn

Comment

I like to use a pileated woodpecker call - very loud and piercing sound that carries a long way. Real easy to use as well.

Comment

I have a peacock call. It's loud, but I don't think I've ever had a turkey gobble to it.
                    What I do, and it's usually only a 2 or 3 day hunt, I get out before daylight and listen for them on the roost. Sometimes they gobble their heads off, sometimes, not so much. Some days, after they fly down, they seem to get lock jaw. When that happens, I just sit around camp after morning hunt and wait and listen. One will eventually sound off and I will make a move on it. Slip in quiet and start some soft calls. Killed a bunch this way.

Comment

I do a hoot owl with my mouth and have a crow call. That being said, we had a group of 10 jakes shock-gobbling to the trailer bouncing along the rocky road with metal on it in March.

Comment

Owl hoot before dawn and a crow or hawk after the sun comes up is what I do.

Comment

Crow calls work pretty well but a coyote howler may be better as it is louder and a sound that most of them are accustomed. Years ago, Bob Dixon with Mossy Oak and I were hunting in SW Menard County and could not get the birds to gobble. Finally a burro in the neighboring ranch started braying and every bird within five miles started gobbling. I told Bob that he could hunt turkeys as I was going to buy that donkey.
                          I laugh because it was about this time that MAD calls were marketing silent dog whistles that were supposed to be the newest and greatest thing to make a turkey shock gobble. They sold thousands of them and when I started studying ultrasonics, I found that turkeys cannot hear frequencies as high as we can. Hmmmmmm……
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

I hit on top of my feeder and had them respond

Comment

This: I do a hoot owl with my mouth and have a crow call.

Comment

Working...
                              X