• Show
Clear All

How do you hunt turkey?

Just curious how you hunt turkey?

1. hunt from rifle blind over feeder
    2. set up decoys and hunt from popup or ground in open fields
    3. run and gun moving and calling
    4. spot and stalk, ambush

I'm sure some use a variety of tactics. I am primarily a run and gun guy but our property is small and you have to get to them before they wander off during the day. But i'm not ashamed to ambush a bird if I can get out in front of them and last year I set up on a feeder from the brush at 30 yards because the gras was so high you couldn't see a bird if you stepped on it.

Run and gun..................

Comment

Sit up against oak tree all camo'd up...have a well positioned hen, and start hitting the call. I make that tom come to me.

Comment

I “hunt” run and gun in the spring.

I kill over a feeder while deer hunting when turkeys wander through.

Comment

With bow over a feeder with with decoys

Comment

Set up near a roost in the morning
            Run and gun later. Sometimes decoy, mostly not

Never in a blind and never over a feeder Or in the fall.
            Too easy When you have a ____ -ton of turkey

Comment

Pop up over decoys with bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pup up and call cause the kids are shooting. My middle one is old enough to run and gun if we don’t have my youngest, but haven’t with him yet.

Comment

5. Scout, plan and execute. I find out where they are roosting. Sneak in pre dawn. Don’t make a peep until I hear the first bird come off the roost, then call.

I’ll run and gun if they are henned up and go elsewhere off the roost.

I’ll spot and stalk if a mouthy gobbler sounds off interrupting my fishing mid day

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                    Sit up against oak tree all camo'd up...have a well positioned hen, and start hitting the call. I make that tom come to me.
                    Bingo.

I keep saying I'm going to try my bow and look likely without a blind. I tried it several years ago a couple of times on a day lease and was in birds even killing one over hand corn but never liked the lack of mobility from a blind therefore I'd prefer to use a shotgun. Looking back, when you get the birds hot on the decoys you dont need a blind if you can burrry up well in the brush. It dont always happen that way but when it does they're ripe for the picking.

This pair hung up on a fence line about 120 yards out strutting around but not committing. They were with a hen and when she eased back into the brush of the river bottom I thought they'd surely follow. I lightly purred at them a couple of times and they broke strut and headed my way on a trot. After a 5 minute show of killing my Jake and molesting the hen (dry humping) I popped them both with one shot.

One of my most memorable hunts not for the two kills but because I truly believe I pulled them off a hen.

Sorry about the poor pic quality, it was really wet and I was by myself.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200401-094232_Video Player_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	24613395Click image for larger version

Name:	20200401_084916.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	24613396Click image for larger version

Name:	20200401_084142.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	24613397

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never killed a turkey with my bow. I always get skunked.

I've gotten quite a few with the #3 option. It's a lot of fun. I like to make my first set before dawn, and run from there as the toms start talking back. I've had success hunting until just after lunch this way. Mid afternoon and evening are usually slow. Sometimes you can catch them as they go to the roost.

Different tactics might work in different areas. Eastland and Comanche counties have such thick heavy brush, they can be a few feet away and you'd never know it.

Comment

3.....everything else is “deer hunting”! But I’ve done my share of all kinds!

Comment

I've only done #1.

Therefore turkey hunting has never gotten me excited. Betting if I run and gunned I'd enjoy it.

Comment

Be where turkey are

Comment

I've shot both called in turkeys and spot and stalk style. I like trying to sneak up on them and getting them that way. I've killed a lot more that way than I have calling them in. My buddy and I have actually combined both calling and spot and stalk before. One guy calls while the other sneaks around to get close enough for a shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X