Soaking Crappie in Sprite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redleif View Post
    Mustard works well as a base that the meal will attach to. Have used it on trout and redfish. But I can't taste the mustard after frying.
    This. I have never used sprite to soak any fish in never even heard of that before. What is it supposed to do? It’s flavored sugar water that carbonated. Let’s us know if you use it how it tastes.

Comment

I like the mustard glue method !
      No vinegar taste at all, cooks right out while frying.
      Use it every time I use cornmeal coat.
      I don’t know about sprite, sounds like it would cook the fish some with all the acid in it.
      Hard to beat a good Tempura batter no matter what IMO.

Comment

Curious as to what the sprite is supposed to do for the fillets?

Sometimes with my catfish I will dip them in panko bread crumbs and then fry them. It's pretty good that way. But you do have to lightly coat in flour then dip in butter milk and then the panko. Mmmm Mmm

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
          I’ve fried fish for 20+ years. Seen a video the other day, they soaked crappie fillets in sprite for about and hour then patted dry. Then coated in mustard before battering.
          Has anyone done this? I’m always up for trying new things but not about experiment and jack up a good batch of crappie.

Only thing I’ve ever done is soak catfish fillets over night in water in the fridge after cleaning and before bagging to draw out some of the fat and strong fish taste.

Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I have used Dr. Pepper and Lemon juice before, but not Sprite

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Mustard acts as a binder for the meal much like it does on rubs for ribs, briskets and pork butts. I prefer the milk and egg but some folks like the mustard.
            Some folks use Mustard as a binder. I have never used a binder for frying fish. I cook a lot of fish for golf tournaments, all Basa, that I get in 15# boxes. I will say that the best I have found is Zatarains or Louisiana Fish Fry in the big tubs for a batter. Get any cheap pepper sauce, I use Crystal as it is the least expensive. Soak the fillets in the sauce for a few minutes and then batter and fry. Turns out great every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Some folks use Mustard as a binder. I have never used a binder for frying fish. I cook a lot of fish for golf tournaments, all Basa, that I get in 15# boxes. I will say that the best I have found is Zatarains or Louisiana Fish Fry in the big tubs for a batter. Get any cheap pepper sauce, I use Crystal as it is the least expensive. Soak the fillets in the sauce for a few minutes and then batter and fry. Turns out great every time.

The pepper sauce is technically a binder...

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                Curious as to what the sprite is supposed to do for the fillets?

Sometimes with my catfish I will dip them in panko bread crumbs and then fry them. It's pretty good that way. But you do have to lightly coat in flour then dip in butter milk and then the panko. Mmmm Mmm

I'm going to assume, like, lemon/water or soaking in water, it makes the fish taste milder for those who don't care for a fishy fish... couldn't imagine needing to do it for crappie though.

Comment

I use mustard on occasion. I can not tell much difference other than a bit more corn meal cooked nice and dark golden. There is bound to be some subtle (good) flavor left. Just like I salt and pepper and really do not taste it (lightly applied of course) but without it the fish is bland so tasting more than you realize. I really like the mustard. Beer batter too. And I cook a Lot. And feed several often.

Comment

I use mustard alot and Louisiana hot sauce sometimes. We use the mustard for the purpose of a better, thicker batter. I fry ALOT of fish and have never had anyone say it taste like mustard. The fish soaked in Louisiana hot sauce will have a hint of spicy to it but you cant really taste the hot sauce in it either. I really like the Zatarains spicy fish fry and we add extra corn meal in it. Will frying up about 15lbs of fillets next weekend for Easter.
                    Last edited by hogslayer78; 04-05-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                      I use mustard alot and Louisiana hot sauce sometimes. We use the mustard for the purpose of a better, thicker batter. I fry ALOT of fish and have never had anyone say it taste like mustard. The fish soaked in Louisiana hot sauce will have a hint of spicy to it but you cant really taste the hot sauce in it either. I really like the Zatarains spicy fish fry and we add extra corn meal in it. Will frying up about 15lbs of fillets next weekend for Easter.

Yeah I’ve used this for a long time. Gonna fry up some later. But no sprite.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        I'm going to assume, like, lemon/water or soaking in water, it makes the fish taste milder for those who don't care for a fishy fish... couldn't imagine needing to do it for crappie though.
                        Google says the Sprite “ firms” the fish up.

Comment

Crappie aka Sac-a-lait is one of the best eating fish there is, I am not covering it's natural flavor with Sprite or mustard.

Comment

Never used on crappie but we soak kingfish in sprite overnight when we’re going to fry it.. It’s as awful smelling as anything I can think of when you pour it off, rinse kingfish in water thoroughly and fry it up. I’ve had many people who “hate” kingfish love it when done this way. This only works on fresh kingfish, have tried to freeze it and do the same and it tastes just like kingfish.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                              Never used on crappie but we soak kingfish in sprite overnight when we’re going to fry it.. It’s as awful smelling as anything I can think of when you pour it off, rinse kingfish in water thoroughly and fry it up. I’ve had many people who “hate” kingfish love it when done this way. This only works on fresh kingfish, have tried to freeze it and do the same and it tastes just like kingfish.

That’s my thinking is it’s good for a real “fishy” fish. No way I’m putting it on crappie

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                                Google says the Sprite “ firms” the fish up.

water does as well....probably a combination of both firming and taste

Comment

Working...
                                X