Trailer wiring question #3872

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer wiring question #3872

I replaced the lights on back. I got the brown, yellow and the brown,green wire thing.

I really did not want to re-run the wiring all the way to the front as it was fine.

The wiring had broke coming out of the hitch.

Question:
    Coming from the back out of the hitch there are only 2 wires. White and black.

My new harness has 4 wires, white, brown,green and yellow.

Which goes to which?
    Attached Files

You need to re-wire that trailer bub and white is ground. Run that from the lights all the way to the hitch and eliminate the faulty ground from hitch to ball. What you got there is an Obama rig.

Comment

You need a minimum of three wires plus ground coming from the tow vehicle, left turn/stop, right turn/stop, tail/clearance lamps and ground. This is why the four pin trailer connectors have four pins. You can use the trailer/ truck frame for ground. You can’t get all the required functions from two wires.

Comment

Something is messed up, you have to have at least 3 wires...I would not assume one or the other is ground as stated, no telling what someone did before. Trailer wiring is pretty simple if you have a meter and understand how to use it. If you don't it would be a jigsaw puzzle for sure

Comment

Is that a new to you trailer? based on that pic it looks like the had white going to white (assume that is ground) and black is going to brown (running and marker lights). Looks like yellow and green (blinker and brake lights) were not connected. Looks like someone had it connected just so running lights would work. Lots of assumptions, but that is my guess.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
            You need to re-wire that trailer bub and white is ground. Run that from the lights all the way to the hitch and eliminate the faulty ground from hitch to ball. What you got there is an Obama rig.
            Bahahahaha. Nice way to put it but yes indeed

Comment

That's a mess. Rewire. Use an extension cord to run the trailer side wires. Better wire and somewhat protected. I just rewired one last weekend. Should have taken pictures.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just dealt with the same thing on my Jon boat trailer. It’s easier than you think, just 4 wires with the one brown wire split and running to both lights.
                I agree with whoever said to run the white wire all the way back. This eliminates most problems.
                Attached Files

Comment

Maybe a dumb question but does that trailor have brakes?

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                    Thats funny. It was made long before Obummer! Looks like I will be redoing it all
                    The light kit I just bought the wires are not long enough to run all the way to the back and then to each side Plus there is no white wires coming out of each light
                    Total fail! Oh well I have plenty of time to do it.

Comment

The lights are grounded through their mount to the trailer, and don't need the white wire. Just do the ground at the tounge like the pic above.

Not necessary but,
                      **If you run the white wire back to the lights. Put a ring terminal on (white) and mount lights to include ring terminal (white) on mounting bolt.

Comment

Working...
                      X