Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use an owl call, not sure what brand

Comment

Owl hoot and crow call have always been my go to locators. Used for 30 years across many states and sub-species.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        A hot gobbler will “shock” gobble to any loud noise. A shutting car door, a distant gun shot, almost everything but a coyote howl. So no a crow call won’t spook them.

I prefer an owl hoot at dawn.
        I have heard them shock gobble coyotes.

Comment

I use a crow call. Like said above a fired up gobbler will “shock” gobble to a lot of sounds whether natural or not. Owl’s are a predator of turkey and they will gobble to an owl hoot, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t gobble to a coyote call. I was listening to the meateater podcast and he had a turkey biologist on there, and to sum it up, he said turkeys will shock gobble to anything that is in their sound wavelength or frequency.

Comment

I make my own owl hoot.

I’ve heard of folks using elk bugles and duck calls

Comment

I use a crow call, works great. No real science to it, you can’t mess up a crow call. As stated many times already, any loud sound will get them to shock gobble.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                I like to use a pileated woodpecker call - very loud and piercing sound that carries a long way. Real easy to use as well.
                This ^^^

Primos makes one that is very loud.

Comment

So do they shock gobble at any time of the day or wherever they're at or more in the roost?

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dbpredator View Post
                    So do they shock gobble at any time of the day or wherever they're at or more in the roost?

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Anytime..

Comment

They are turkeys, they will gobble any time, any day of the week that you aren't hunting them.....

I use a crow call, make it fast and loud, chop it off abruptly and listen hard. He'll likely gobble mid call and you can easily miss it if he's 1/4 mile out.

Comment

Just because he won't shock gobble, doesn't mean he isn't there.

I'd recommend getting there early, listen, and then sneak around looking for sign. For me at least, the birds haven't been talking a lot this season. The bird I killed this morning gobbled 1 time on the roost.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Try to add a little to my game each year. On past places- I had knowledge of the typical roosting areas and an idea where birds traveled during the day. This is completely new location and it adds to the excitement (and pressure). Only have few hunts to put it all together. Hope to hear them gobble next time and get right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a burro....
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

I like to use my elk bugle !
                              Gets em everytime .
                              All jokes aside go out during any storm and listen they gobble like crazy when it thunders.
                              Supposed to rain soon.

Comment

I bugle at them. Had them shock gobble at the coyotes and every time I shot my rifle when sighting it in mid afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X