Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Default Turkey hunting from ground blind

From what I understand turkeys donít really notice ground blinds even when they are first set up and no cover. I have tried once and only a hen Came by but she didnít seem to notice. Iíll be hunting with a youth this weekend and will have to set up a blind in the dark the morning of. A few trees around but really no good cover to conceal the blind. Anybody have any experience turkey hunting out of freshly setup blinds? Did the turkeys avoid it? figure with a young kid shooting a .410 with a range of 15 yards and a long sit, a blind is the way to go.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2020, 11:18 PM   #2
Bowtech Lefty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Medina and Frio Counties

You will be fine, turkeys will pay no attention to it. Try to setup some decoys if you can.
Bowtech Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #3
davidamfan
Six Point

Hunt In: West Texas & Old Mexico

Set up under the Turkey Roosts tree and it will work out.
davidamfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2020, 04:32 AM   #4
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

That’s how I did with my son. Made it easy for him to move around and take a nap.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Generally turkeys will not pay attention to a blind but they can become educated to them and then they will start to avoid them. I used to hunt them with my bow a lot out of popup blinds and I've seen them become educated to them.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
GQCowboy
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Tx

Anyone Heading to Bushy Hill Ranch ?
Just trying get a report on the Ranch..
Wet etc...
making my way there next weekend.. hoping
GQCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
Duane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
From what I understand turkeys donít really notice ground blinds even when they are first set up and no cover. I have tried once and only a hen Came by but she didnít seem to notice. Iíll be hunting with a youth this weekend and will have to set up a blind in the dark the morning of. A few trees around but really no good cover to conceal the blind. Anybody have any experience turkey hunting out of freshly setup blinds? Did the turkeys avoid it? figure with a young kid shooting a .410 with a range of 15 yards and a long sit, a blind is the way to go.
When my boys were younger we did this with good success. On a few occasions my boys killed turkeys within an hour of setting up a Double Bull blind. We never bothered brushing them in, we just set up where we thought we needed to be, even if it was in a road with no backdrop or cover.

As far as the range w/ a .410, you should be good out to 25+ yards or even more with some of the newer turkey loads now available for that bore. Your limitation is probably more of what you and your son are comfortable with. Your pattern is going to be pretty tight and strung out with a .410, especially with a full choke, so a longer shot will require a good steady aim.

Good luck!
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
12ring
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.

Put it up in the middle of a 50 ac wide open field. Decoys and call, they'll never pay any attention to the blind. They are STUPID (except when they're not).
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #9
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
When my boys were younger we did this with good success. On a few occasions my boys killed turkeys within an hour of setting up a Double Bull blind. We never bothered brushing them in, we just set up where we thought we needed to be, even if it was in a road with no backdrop or cover.

As far as the range w/ a .410, you should be good out to 25+ yards or even more with some of the newer turkey loads now available for that bore. Your limitation is probably more of what you and your son are comfortable with. Your pattern is going to be pretty tight and strung out with a .410, especially with a full choke, so a longer shot will require a good steady aim.

Good luck!
Unfortunately he is my nephew and they bought him a .410 with improved cylinder barrel and didnít buy the shells I asked so we are limited to 15 yards lol
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top