Turkey hunting from ground blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey hunting from ground blind

From what I understand turkeys don’t really notice ground blinds even when they are first set up and no cover. I have tried once and only a hen Came by but she didn’t seem to notice. I’ll be hunting with a youth this weekend and will have to set up a blind in the dark the morning of. A few trees around but really no good cover to conceal the blind. Anybody have any experience turkey hunting out of freshly setup blinds? Did the turkeys avoid it? figure with a young kid shooting a .410 with a range of 15 yards and a long sit, a blind is the way to go.

You will be fine, turkeys will pay no attention to it. Try to setup some decoys if you can.

Comment

Set up under the Turkey Roosts tree and it will work out.

Comment

That’s how I did with my son. Made it easy for him to move around and take a nap.

Comment

Generally turkeys will not pay attention to a blind but they can become educated to them and then they will start to avoid them. I used to hunt them with my bow a lot out of popup blinds and I've seen them become educated to them.

Comment

Anyone Heading to Bushy Hill Ranch ?
            Just trying get a report on the Ranch..
            Wet etc...
            making my way there next weekend.. hoping

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
              From what I understand turkeys don’t really notice ground blinds even when they are first set up and no cover. I have tried once and only a hen Came by but she didn’t seem to notice. I’ll be hunting with a youth this weekend and will have to set up a blind in the dark the morning of. A few trees around but really no good cover to conceal the blind. Anybody have any experience turkey hunting out of freshly setup blinds? Did the turkeys avoid it? figure with a young kid shooting a .410 with a range of 15 yards and a long sit, a blind is the way to go.
              When my boys were younger we did this with good success. On a few occasions my boys killed turkeys within an hour of setting up a Double Bull blind. We never bothered brushing them in, we just set up where we thought we needed to be, even if it was in a road with no backdrop or cover.

As far as the range w/ a .410, you should be good out to 25+ yards or even more with some of the newer turkey loads now available for that bore. Your limitation is probably more of what you and your son are comfortable with. Your pattern is going to be pretty tight and strung out with a .410, especially with a full choke, so a longer shot will require a good steady aim.

Good luck!

Comment

Put it up in the middle of a 50 ac wide open field. Decoys and call, they'll never pay any attention to the blind. They are STUPID (except when they're not).

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
                  When my boys were younger we did this with good success. On a few occasions my boys killed turkeys within an hour of setting up a Double Bull blind. We never bothered brushing them in, we just set up where we thought we needed to be, even if it was in a road with no backdrop or cover.

As far as the range w/ a .410, you should be good out to 25+ yards or even more with some of the newer turkey loads now available for that bore. Your limitation is probably more of what you and your son are comfortable with. Your pattern is going to be pretty tight and strung out with a .410, especially with a full choke, so a longer shot will require a good steady aim.

Good luck!
                  Unfortunately he is my nephew and they bought him a .410 with improved cylinder barrel and didn’t buy the shells I asked so we are limited to 15 yards lol

Comment

Working...
                  X