MRI question for Dr, Nurse or X-ray tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI question for Dr, Nurse or X-ray tech

My my wife has 2 areas of interest, neck and shoulder.

We are told this required 2 MRI’s.

I have had a few MRI’s and I thought the only limit was how far they scanned you into the tube.

Why can’t they get the whole upper body in one scan?

I had a middle of back and lower back mri. i had the same thing....2hours in the tube

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

When I had both knees done I want to say it was two separate scans. All done at the same appointment but they took one, then the other.

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
          Pm sent

Not sure I understand but this adds some validity.

Thanks

Comment

The two I had the table would only go into the machine far enough to get half, one they did the lower half then turned me around to do the top half.

Comment

Just had my neck done, and may need my shoulder done two Separate scans

Comment

That’s going to take two separate scans for sure. Spoken from a I don’t really know how many of those I’ve had experience. Best of luck to your wife.

Comment

I am a PA in orthopedic surgery (currently work exclusively with shoulders). These will have to be two separate studies. I don't know why specifically, but likely has more to do with scheduling time/appointment slots than anything else.

Comment

They are considered 2 different studies by radiology who reads the MRI. You’re getting an MRI cervical spine and an MRI upper extremity joint. They can be done at the same time, but you will be billed for 2 procedures. If you have a really high deductible then you might be better off going to a free standing MRI center and paying cash. I’ve seen MRI’s priced around $500 per study and that included the reading by the radiologist.

Comment

Wife had 3 after a car wreck. Neck,shoulder and arm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Is what it is

Can you
                        Yes
                        Each area is billed separately

In the feet, you have and ankle mri and then a foot mri. If the problem is in the mid foot sometimes we have to run both. It is a bunch of crap inagree

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                          Is what it is

Can you
                          Yes
                          Each area is billed separately

In the feet, you have and ankle mri and then a foot mri. If the problem is in the mid foot sometimes we have to run both. It is a bunch of crap inagree
                          lol yup.

Years ago shattered ankle and broke foot in 3 places. Pair of crutches, a walking boot and time healed everything.

Line item for bill was something something ankle $$$$$$. Foot $$$$$$

What a crock

Comment

Because mri scans are performed by body parts specifically. Plus neck scans are interpreted by a neuroradiologist (neck doc) and the shoulder scan goes to a musculoskeletal radiologist (muscle/bone doc).....at most imaging centers.

Comment

Now it makes sense. It’s all one MRI but two areas to read

Comment

Working...
                              X