Ticks on Deer This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticks on Deer This Year

I don't ever recall seeing ticks as bad as they were on the deer I killed near Spicewood this last week. It was just completely infested. It has been a few years since I have shot a deer, but this just seems insane. Is it like this everywhere? I don't recall seeing many ticks on the deer I have shot in south Texas, maybe it is a central texas thing?

I’ve seen the same in fort bend county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I noticed 1 when I was gutting by buck last week.

Comment

I did not see a single tick on the deer I shot a week ago

What I did see was quite a few lice of some sort which was a first (or at least long enough ago I forgot)

Lice and pigs all the time but these were not same lice as on pigs

Comment

Nastiest deer I've ever killed was in San Marcos in February several years ago. Hundreds of ticks. Guy who ran the place said it's because we never got a good freeze that winter.

Comment

I've had just the opposite observation. I have cleaned over 10 deer this year so far and can't remember seeing LESS ticks in any previous year I can recall.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              Nastiest deer I've ever killed was in San Marcos in February several years ago. Hundreds of ticks. Guy who ran the place said it's because we never got a good freeze that winter.
              I doubt there is an area of the state that didn't see a super freeze this past year.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                I've had just the opposite observation. I have cleaned over 10 deer this year so far and can't remember seeing LESS ticks in any previous year I can recall.
                Same with us. We have had hardly any at all on the deer we have killed.

Comment

Deer killed in Kimble county have been covered in ticks. More than usual as you have observed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Noticed the same thing in Houston County too. Figured the freeze had something to do with a population explosion?

Comment

Shot a doe in Lampasas Co. she had quite a few ticks too.

Comment

The 2 deer i have shot in McCullough County this year have been loaded with ticks

Comment

I don't think the freeze has anything to do with tick populations. They have ticks in the NE part of the country, so what makes anyone think they would not survive a Texas winter, even if is the coldest in many years?

I always worry when someone says tick infestation. I know there is a Longhorn tick that is invasive and has sickening populations on livestock in parts of the NE, Arkansas, TN, and a few other states. Some livestock have so many ticks they die from anemia. These ticks carry a bloodborne pathogen, too. If you can look at the tick, you will see it's 2 antenna look like long horns. If you see that, call Ag Extension or a vet or Texas Department of Agriculture or the Game Warden asap.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                            Same.. They have been basically spotless.. Even the Nilgai.

Comment

We’ve had about 300 in so far and the ticks are the worst I’ve seen in years. Looks like the ivermectin works though cause I have had a hitch hiker yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X