Snort after a kill shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snort after a kill shot?

Just hit a buck real low. Barely any blood on arrow. He stopped and snorted and there’s decent blood there and a bit after that but I pulled off for now. I’m assuming it’s a brisket wound but trying to reach for distant hope. Anyone ever had one snort after a kill shot?

Originally posted by warrenm0624 View Post
    Just hit a buck real low. Barely any blood on arrow. He stopped and snorted and there’s decent blood there and a bit after that but I pulled off for now. I’m assuming it’s a brisket wound but trying to reach for distant hope. Anyone ever had one snort after a kill shot?

The buck I heart shot last week grunted/snorted pretty loud at impact. But I knew right off it was fatal hit even without the grunt.

Good luck finding him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. I suk.

Comment

Never heard of that happening. Interesting.

Have you considered getting a dog?

Comment

Thanks. I suk.
          Happens to everyone at some point. Anyone who denies it is lying or hasn’t hunted very long. Your gonna beat your self up pretty good no matter what. Then a few days will go by and you’ll put it in perspective. Brisket shots usually are not fatal. So there’s that good point. Good luck bud..

Comment

No reason to pull off. Either your high enough or not.
            Unless you're worried about the windage

Comment

Sounds like you clipped lungs to me.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                Sounds like you clipped lungs to me.
                What I was thinking. He’s breathing blood and fluids.... if wounded brisket, he would have just hightailed it out FAST

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                  No reason to pull off. Either your high enough or not.
                  Unless you're worried about the windage
                  Agree with this completely, go find him before the coyotes do. If its not a good hit, no amount of waiting will help. Bet he's 43 steps further than you went.

Comment

Sounds like a dead deer to me, good luck!

Comment

I would have agreed with y’all- no reason to wait, either dead or not. I went in like an hour and a half after shot thinking the same thing. He dropped pretty good blood (just dripping every 3 feet or so) for about 150 yards till I jumped him. After I jumped him I wasn’t sure it was him because he was off the trail I was on. But I found two big football size puddles of blood and then the blood circled back into where he was bedded. I backed out. I have my own tracking dog so we will be on him in the morning. I didn’t take my dog at first because I thought it was a meat wound and I didn’t want him to end up running the buck for a mile and have to deal with that.

When I jumped him it sounded like he just got up and kinda moved away. Could still hear the brush for a few seconds after he got up. Definitely didn’t run. Saying my prayers for a dead buck in the morn.

Comment

I would have agreed with y’all- no reason to wait, either dead or not. I went in like an hour and a half after shot thinking the same thing. He dropped pretty good blood (just dripping every 3 feet or so) for about 150 yards till I jumped him. After I jumped him I wasn’t sure it was him because he was off the trail I was on. But I found two big football size puddles of blood and then the blood circled back into where he was bedded. I backed out. I have my own tracking dog so we will be on him in the morning. I didn’t take my dog at first because I thought it was a meat wound and I didn’t want him to end up running the buck for a mile and have to deal with that.

When I jumped him it sounded like he just got up and kinda moved away. Could still hear the brush for a few seconds after he got up. Definitely didn’t run. Saying my prayers for a dead buck in the morn.
                        I brisket shot one a few years ago that did something similar. Then he just turned and walked off. Poured blood for about 300 yards and then it got super spotty. Jumped him once bedded and then never found him. Saw him alive and chasing a doe about a month later. Hopefully you got some of the goods and you can find him in the morning.

Comment

I would think that a buck with deflated lungs has lost his ability to snort.. Where would that air come from?

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            I would think that a buck with deflated lungs has lost his ability to snort.. Where would that air come from?
                            That’s what I’m thinking too. I guess the hope is I touched some heart strings.

Comment

Good luck with your recovery, report back.

Comment

Working...
                              X