Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife was in a wreck this morning, next steps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife was in a wreck this morning, next steps?

My wife was rear ended at a red light this morning by a fella in an AC company van going about 45mph.

At dr with her now to get checked out, nothing life threatening but she is in lots of pain.

She was in our Chevy 2500 and it is now in a storage lot since they had to cut the frame of his vehicle off of hers. We need to have it moved to our mechanic to have it checked and see if it’s totaled.

Her insurance company is saying to do everything through his insurance, but I’ve not dealt with this situation before. What can We expect? We are already out of pocket for dr visit, but don’t want to pay to much more without making sure insurance is covering the rest.

Truck was paid off, if it is totaled what can we expect their insurance to do? I feel there’s no way they’ll ever give us enough to replace it entirely for what it was.

Going to ask about lost wages for her, rental vehicle and other costs associated with all of this.

Any advice gents?

You need to find new insurance or a new insurance agent after this.

If they are unwilling to take the lead, they are worthless IMHO. (As long as you have a comprehensive policy).

Comment

With her in pain and injuries. I would call a lawyer. They will help you to not make any mistakes. Prayers for all involved!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
        With her in pain and injuries. I would call a lawyer. They will help you to not make any mistakes. Prayers for all involved!
        This right here. Especially if the other driver was at fault and in company vehicle.

Comment

Let your insurance handle it. Try not to stress toobad. Be very careful of signing anything.

Keep receipts for any doctor co-pays, rental vehicles, document wages lost etc.

His insurance should cut the check for it all.

Comment

don't sign anything until you have the money you want.

Comment

I am not typically a lawyer person. HOWEVER, I was once in a quite bad accident that involved t boning a light runner. I called my buddy who is a lawyer and said hey man what am I supposed to do about all these upfront costs. He said hold on a second and faxed me a bunch of paperwork. His office set up for me to see all the doctors at no cost out of my pocket, got me a rental car got me my car replaced and put some money in my pocket for pain and suffering which I later used for some reoccurring problems from the accident. Other than reporting to claim to the insurance company I don’t think I ever talked to them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

If they are unwilling to take the lead, they are worthless IMHO. (As long as you have a comprehensive policy).
                I’ve been telling my wife she needs a new company. We carry full coverage on both vehicles but I use a different provider than her.

Thanks so far everyone

Comment

your insurance company should be dealing with the folks insurance that hit her not you....your priority should be to make sure the wife is ok. Most of the time if they deem it totaled they will cut you a check for the value of your vehicle. Their insurance should put her in a rental as well. You should be able to list all your expenses and send to their insurance company including your dr visit cost.

Comment

I am in the car business and if they had to cut the frame likely it will be totaled. If you give me the information I can get you an idea of its value and could help replacement if I wasn't too far to drive as I am in Weatherford. but glad to help. Send me the VIN, mileage and partricular's if you want.

Comment

Definitely call a lawyer. You shouldn't be paying anything out of pocket.

Keep track of all your lost time dealing with this situation.

Comment

Sure hope your wife is ok! One good reason to allow the other insurance company to handle and pay is that, if you use your own coverage, you will be out your collision deductible until your company can subrogate against the at fault party's company. The process to recover your money can take months. It is YOUR prerogative however. So if you feel the other insurance carrier is dragging their feet, file it with your own carrier. If you have PIP (Personal Injury Protection) coverage, you'll want to file with your own carrier anyway. PIP claims can cover medical bills AND the lost wages you mentioned. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what all to keep up with and ask for. Hope all goes well for you.

Comment

PM sent, and prayers up for your wife.

Comment

Call the 4’s 444-444-4444

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

EXACTLY what he said...that's why you pay them big money every month. Yes, it will go through the other guy's insurance but your insurance should take the lead and be your liaison.

Comment

Working...
                              X