Barbed wire,, and brush cutters question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbed wire,, and brush cutters question

I happen to find some barbed wire with my nearly new brush cutter. I messed with it for a couple hours, unable to free it from the shaft. Fingered I need to drop the blades and stump jumper,, which brings me to my question.

Has anyone done this,, and more importantly, is it easier to drop the blades first, then the stump jumper,,

Or can I just drop the jumper with blades attached??

I am trying to avoid paying J. D. Dealer 5-6 hundred bucks for the job. I have the tool to remove the bolts.

Been there. Fence wire tool and start cutting.

Comment

I unfortunately have some experience in this a few times over lol. So if you are not able to cut the wire out and get it out by hand, my next step would be to remove the stump jumper and usually it's only 1 nut, washer and a cotter pin to undo off the post. Very easy.

That said, you shouldn't have to mess with the blades at all as they are connected to the stump jumper independently. When you take the stump jumper off, it should all come off.

On a side note, since you are already taking it off and have easy access to the blades, could be a good opportunity for a quick sharpening. I do it with an electric hand grinder and never take them off the stump jumper pan. Routine stuff so shouldn't be hard.
      Last edited by Fmjag64; 09-23-2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Be aware your shredder may have left LEFT HAND threads on the blades. My Rhino does. One time we got into wire so bad we had to use a cutting torch on the wire. Worked well and I bet an angle grinder would do it also.

Comment

Knipex wire cutters

Comment

Cutting torch is the easiest way if you can get to it.

Comment

Fixed deck or batwing?

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                I unfortunately have some experience in this a few times over lol. So if you are not able to cut the wire out and get it out by hand, my next step would be to remove the stump jumper and usually it's only 1 nut, washer and a cotter pin to undo off the post. Very easy.

That said, you shouldn't have to mess with the blades at all as they are connected to the stump jumper independently. When you take the stump jumper off, it should all come off.

On a side note, since you are already taking it off and have easy access to the blades, could be a good opportunity for a quick sharpening. I do it with an electric hand grinder and never take them off the stump jumper pan. Routine stuff so shouldn't be hard.

This is a Frontier cutter, with approximately 20 hours use on it. Ima hoping the nuts won’t be hard to remove.

I was concerned about the weight, with the blades attached. Trying to save a couple of steps.

There is not enough room to get some wire cutters between the jumper and deck.

I cut the mower off immediately, I don’t think it got into the gearbox seal.

I have watched several videos, seems easy enough if’n I lift the mower up with the FEL.

Comment

Brianl, it’s a 6 ft. Straight deck.

Comment

Get some good gloves and long sleeves. Also eye protection.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      Cutting torch is the easiest way if you can get to it.

Hmmm. That would save some time.

Thank you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                        This is a Frontier cutter, with approximately 20 hours use on it. Ima hoping the nuts won’t be hard to remove.

I was concerned about the weight, with the blades attached. Trying to save a couple of steps.

There is not enough room to get some wire cutters between the jumper and deck.

I cut the mower off immediately, I don’t think it got into the gearbox seal.

I have watched several videos, seems easy enough if’n I lift the mower up with the FEL.
                        Yes, if it is a new mower, it should be even easier lol. The nuts i have to remove have usually been on it for a while and rusted etc.

But yea, the stump jumper will be heavy but not too bad. Removing the blades wont take much of the weight off in my opinion and is just an added step that's not necessary; assuming it's like all the traditional ones I've used (Brush Hog, Howse, Ford, John Deere etc), which it looks to be.

I usually lift the mower with a loader for easy access. If you have to get under it on the ground, make sure you use jack stands or something trustworthy to keep it off you in case something happened. But again, very easy routine stuff. And Yes, a cutting torch would work as well to cut the wire out.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Fmjag64; 09-23-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                          Hmmm. That would save some time.

Thank you sir.
                          You know I meant for the wire right. Flip it over and the wire will cut really easy if there is enough room to get the torch to it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            You know I meant for the wire right. Flip it over and the wire will cut really easy if there is enough room to get the torch to it.
                            This^^^ Done it many times on our batwing. Torch is the only way to go. But the stump jumpers have a good 4-6in gap between the deck. On some mowers there isnt enough room to reach between it and the deck.

Comment

I just flip mine up and lean it against a tree with the loader when I need to mess with the blades.

Comment

Working...
                              X