No announcement yet.

Harrison County Hunting Tragedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad sad deal. Should be a reminder that you need to be overly careful when it comes to firearms. Always be aware of where the muzzle is pointing.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
      I know I would have to be put on suicide watch if going through what that dad must be going thru
      Same here

Comment

Dang I just keep coming back to this

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
          Ugh. That kind of tragedy takes more than one life. So sad. Can’t even fathom.

exactly what I was thinking. That family will never be the same, especially the father

Comment

Prayers to the family horrible tragedy

Comment

Prayers up!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A full interview with the sheriffs department is on FB. It’s very sad and heartbreaking to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                  Last update I saw from kltv says the father thought he had spent two rounds while in the stand & recalled loading 4 rounds into the gun
                  Got back to the truck & ejected two rounds thinking the gun was empty. Apparently laid the gun in the seat & then relaxed the hammer while she was entering the truck when the gun went off
                  It’s an awful outcome & my heart breaks for the father & family

I almost had this exact same scenario happen when i was about 13, except it was the other way around. I was loading my father’s lever action 3030 which automatically cocks the hammer when chambering a round. The scope on the gun was low enough that made it hard to get a thumb on the hammer and it was raining, so everything was soaking wet.

The hammer slipped out from under my finger when i was relaxing it and the rifle fired through the passenger side door where my father had been standing 1 minute prior.

Needless to say, the scope was raised out of the way and i got a LOT more supervision with weapons with exposed hammers.

I can’t imagine the grief this man is feeling, and i will definitely be praying for the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                    A full interview with the sheriffs department is on FB. It’s very sad and heartbreaking to watch.
                    I tried to watch but it just breaks my heart so bad.

Comment

So sad, prayers for the family. Very tragic, God Bless their family

Comment

This is beyond sad.

Keep guns pointed in a safe direction at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          Makes me sick to my stomach to read something like that. Prayers up for all that are affected by this tragedy.
                          x2 , same here.

Comment

Good grief that is so tragic to read. Prayers up for the family for comfort.

Comment

My 8yo and 9yo girls have started hunting this season. I can't even imagine.

One thing I'm teaching mine, that you don't hear, is to visually clear the chamber as the bolt closes. Lots of accidents happen when people clear a gun that wasn't chambered only to inadvertently put a round in.

As for hunting accidental discharges, you see and hear the same stories over and over.

1. The bolt action rifle that requires safety off to cycle (never understood this design). Normally what happens is hunter goes to load rifle and uses the thumb to cycle bolt while another finger ends up in the trigger guard applying pressure up and back to bring the bolt lever down. As soon as it closes, it goes off.

2. The dog that discharges shotgun. Loaded shotgun gets set in the boat, tailgate of truck or on the ground during a hunt. Crazy lab jumps on it disengaging safety and hitting trigger at the same time.

3. Casing a gun in the back seat of a truck. Case laying on back seat. Hunter slides barrel in but it sticks requiring a couple of good jabs back and forth to get it in. Unfortunately on this one, all too often someone is also loading gear in the opposite back door. If you'd like to add a safety rule to your routine, take the gun case out of the truck, put the gun in, and always store them vertical leaning against the seat rather than across pointing at the opposite door.

Safety rules are the top priority but keep these common pitfalls in mind and watch out for them.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                                Last update I saw from kltv says the father thought he had spent two rounds while in the stand & recalled loading 4 rounds into the gun
                                Got back to the truck & ejected two rounds thinking the gun was empty. Apparently laid the gun in the seat & then relaxed the hammer while she was entering the truck when the gun went off
                                It’s an awful outcome & my heart breaks for the father & family

Same thing I have read .

Comment

Working...
                                X