No announcement yet.

Is there a "need" for a 3.5" shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 2 3/4 will kill at the same distance if the lucky pellet hits a vital area. 3.5 has superior pattern density due to the larger payload. At the distances most folks can shoot you might not see a difference but the skilled shooter can use this advantage. That being said,when you factor in all of the costs for waterfowl or turkey hunting shells are the cheapest item on the list.Do you need one,probably not but its nice to have.

Comment

As an owner of many shottys in various gauges from 12 down to the .410, some of which I've never shot, I really don't see what difference it makes. Just like bows, or anything else, shoot what makes you happy. What you feel best about.

Comment

I ordered a 3.5" gun today. Not sure how much I'll use 3.5" shells, but knowing I can skim off my buddies ammo if needed was a great point I hadn't thought of.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
          I ordered a 3.5" gun today. Not sure how much I'll use 3.5" shells, but knowing I can skim off my buddies ammo if needed was a great point I hadn't thought of.
          glad for you,, i think you will like it a lot,,,, back about june i shot my first ever round of skeet with a mossburg 835 ulti mag,,, ran the 2.75" shells like a champ

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
            glad for you,, i think you will like it a lot,,,, back about june i shot my first ever round of skeet with a mossburg 835 ulti mag,,, ran the 2.75" shells like a champ

It should run like a champ. Any pump is going to run the light shorter loads just fine. They’ve been fine since the 835 came on the market in the early 90s. If a pump has any issues with ejecting a shell, 99% of the time it’s the pumper and his stroke, not the gun. It’s the 3.5” semi-autos where the 2.75” 1oz load ejection issues can come into play. Especially the inertia recoil system guns. Hopefully the newer more recent 3.5” semi-auto guns have resolved those light dove and skeet load issues. Always had to shoot the 1-1/8 oz heavy dove load minimum to get a consistent ejection out of the SBE.

Have you shot the 3.5s” out of that pump yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              It should run like a champ. Any pump is going to run the light shorter loads just fine. They’ve been fine since the 835 came on the market in the early 90s. If a pump has any issues with ejecting a shell, 99% of the time it’s the pumper and his stroke, not the gun. It’s the 3.5” semi-autos where the 2.75” 1oz load ejection issues can come into play. Especially the inertia recoil system guns. Hopefully the newer more recent 3.5” semi-auto guns have resolved those light dove and skeet load issues. Always had to shoot the 1-1/8 oz heavy dove load minimum to get a consistent ejection out of the SBE.

i have not,, got hurt right after i bought it and didn't shoot it for the first5 years i had it,,, i need to get some and acquire some passing targets!

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                i have not,, got hurt right after i bought it and didn't shoot it for the first5 years i had it,,, i need to get some and acquire some passing targets!

It’s a thumper… shooting those Roman candles will wake you up…[emoji23]

Comment

Don't ruin the surprise.

Comment

This is what had me asking this question. I was originally looking at gas guns, then the Franchi Affinity Elite caught my eye. I was worried about the 3.5" inertia gun and small loads, wanted to see if I would regret a 3" version down the road.

Comment

I will say that of the three 3.5" guns I own, my 835 with a 24" unvented barrel is the worst. Especially with the 2.25 oz turkey loads. That is a first year production run gun I bought new in early srping of 1991. Shoot enough of the turkey loads and the 3.5" steel is a cake-walk . I did find it likes the 3" shells the best. And did not like the Kent. For some reason, the ejector will not grab the rim on the Kent hulls. I still have some of those original Federal 3.5" 2.25 oz turkey loads. And have shot many other turkey loads through it. Never have shot a turkey with that barrel, even though I've hunted with it. I have shot a lot of ducks with it. But I have killed countless deer with it and the Trophy Slug barrel. Including turkeys with a slug right through the chest. And it didn't "tear them up" either.

When I acquired the Super Nova (new), I could definitely tell the difference in the recoil. Plus, I could actually hit with it once I got it set up/shimmed right!

I aquired a Baretta 400 Extrema Plus two years ago Sept. And finally got to go break it in last year. They recommend 150-200 rounds of 1-1/8oz dove or skeet loads of 1200fps. During the break in process, I had one FTE. And have shot a bunch of 1 oz loads with no more FTE. Took it duck hunting next. On the 5th round of 3.5", I had a FTE. But never a problem after that. It did take some time to figure out what round I could hit with. As it didn't like the 3.5" #2 shot, and a Mod choke like the Bennelli did. In fact, it was shooting a whole lot tighter than I thought. I've got a straight cylinder choke with 3.5" of 1.375 oz #4 for it now. It has a slightly longer trigger pull and sight plane for me than the Bennelli. But I'm gonna give it some time. And see if I can adapt to it as well as I have the Bennelli.

And just for the record, I ain't been near the "flat-billed, ryne stoned sunglass wear-n" youth of today like mentioned in an earlier post. No, I'ma "honornery" (honor and ornery) GOF on this sight. And demand the 3.5" loads if that's what I wanna shoot! Don't make me call my big bro Burnadale down here!
                      Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-29-2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

It’s a thumper… shooting those Roman candles will wake you up…[emoji23]
                        i'm not skeered,, i had a single shot 10 ga and shot it,, now that one would rattle your buddies teeth! also had an old marlin long tom 10 ga with 36" barrell,, nothing bad

Comment

Is there a "need" for a 3.5" shotgun?

Mossberg collaborated with Federal to create the 3.5” to fill the gap between 10 and 12 ga. Once lead was outlawed, steel shot left a lot to be desired. Too light compared to lead translates to energy loss in terms of terminal ballistics. That’s why steel has to be pushed pretty fast to manintain enough energy to cleanly kill ducks and geese.

Most 3.5” chambered guns are back bored which greatly increases pattern density while knocking a little off the recoil end.

As others have stated, you really don’t need it for duck hunting, especially with the advancement in non-toxic shot technologies such as bismuth, tungsten, and wads (flight control wads come to mind).

I switched over to reloading 1oz 2.75” #4’ and #5’s bismuth for ducks last year. Can’t pay me to go back to steel. Bismuth is the closest to lead on the density chart (not talking about TSS) and it hammers the mess out of ducks.

Now where a 3.5” chamber comes in handy is if you load speciality ammo like I do: buckshot, Buck and ball loads, or slugs.

I’ve developed some killer triball loads that fires 3, 330 gr .60 cal round balls in the 3.5” hull. Great for hunting in thick cover. Also great for heavy payload buckshot. I even developed a couple of 3.5” slug loads that really gets that chunk of lead moving.

So while a 3.5” chamber may not serve a purpose for some, I get great use out of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Blood Trail; 11-30-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X