Fallow, shoot or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallow, shoot or no?

So, my Fallow buck saga has lasted many years. I have wanted a fallow buck for a long time. I’ve passed up trophy sika, blackbuck, axis and whitetail because I have fairly decent populations of them but fallow, not so much.

Last time I had a trophy fallow on the ranch was 4 years ago and now, I’ve got another one. He’s not as big as the last but this one seems to be popping up on my cameras regularly. My dilemma is timeless. Do I kill him because I’m low fence and I may go another 4 years before I see another decent buck? Or, because I think this one is on the younger side, do I let him walk in hopes I will get another opportunity later.

I think he’s pretty run down from his rut since he’s skinny. My opinions will likely change if he shows up in person too since they seem small until you see one up close. But those palms…….I love them!

Thoughts?

I’ll post pictures in a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If a fallow showed up on my low fence i think id have to shoot it. Ive never shot one and its on the bucket list and i would rather not pay to go shoot one on a high fence.

Comment

I can't believe you're even asking this question, since most people on this forum would shoot that buck on sight.
        If you don't consider this one a shooter, I'd have to say that you must not really want a fallow.
        Or else, just open up your check book and go buy a hunt somewhere, to shoot a bigger one that fits you criteria of a trophy.
        Last edited by HeyMikey; 11-29-2021, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
          I can't believe you're even asking this question, since most people on this forum would shoot that buck on sight.
          If you don't consider this one a shooter, I'd have to say that you must not really want a fallow.
          Or else, just open up your check book and go buy a hunt somewhere, to shoot a bigger one that fits you criteria of a trophy.

Let me put things in perspective for you for a little clarity. I want a fallow buck that’s mature enough. I’ve shot a spike and the meat was wonderful. I’ve had a couple of two year olds come across on occasion and I didn’t shoot them because I want a mature buck. They start to show some palms at about 3 and from there, I only have the internet to tell me what is “mature”. When I look at pictures of other fallow bucks, they seem larger in body size than this buck. Much larger necks. In the up close photo, he doesn’t seem all that large.

I age my whitetail by placing my thumb over the antlers and just looking at the body. If I did this with this particular fallow, Im not sure if he seems all that mature.

This could be because he’s at the end of their “rutting season” from what I’ve read but again, im not certain. This is why I asked about y’all’s opinions. I figured someone would weigh in that has more knowledge than I do. From a distance, he looks tall and wide. Im sure if he walks out I’ll get a better handle on his maturity but maybe not.

Im not going to shoot a young fallow just to put antlers on the wall. I want to shoot a mature one. If this is what maturity looks like for a free range fallow in the hill country then I’ll surely go for it. They’re not native here and I don’t see them frequently enough to be better at aging this guy.

Comment

Me personally if I have a doubt in my mind on a animals age I just wait if it’s meant to be you will see him next year. I personally don’t see a mature Fallow there, his body condition is very worn down looking to me though. I only have experience with these animals on a high fence though. Atleast he is not broomed off like a lot of them get from fighting. I would just wait and see next year.

Comment

It’s a young fallow. They usually don’t stick around too long for the most part. I had a big old boy at my place hanging out for 3 years. He was pretty friendly and wouldn’t run off. Found him dead at the end of summer. I think another big boy did him in.

Comment

If "You" like him, it don't and shouldn't matter if someone else does or doesn't. It's hunting. If it were "choosing", we'd all have 200" deer on our walls. To me, it ain't about the horns (although I'd prefer them mature), it's about the story. Make your own story, yours.

Comment

I'd fletch him!

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
                    I'd fletch him!

Lol

Comment

If you like him take him no reason you can’t take a bigger one if he shows up later

Comment

First world problems….

Comment

If maturity is your goal, then don’t shoot him. He’s a young deer with potential to be a hoss. If you’re looking to say you shot a nice low fence fallow then let ‘er rip tater chip.

Comment

We all know they wouldn’t pass on that in East tx so may as well.

Comment

Whack

Comment

Working...
                              X