Big Bore Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bore Question

If any of you somewhat older guys enjoy big bores I’m interested in how you go about load development/sighting them in as far as shooting them off the bench? I’ve been a big bore lover since I was a teenager and Ive got a bunch of them but as I’ve gotten older I can still shoot them in a hunting situation but working up loads and sighting them in has become increasingly hard to sit behind them for multiple rounds. I bought another 416 Rem. Mag and it about killed me after the 6th round so it’s time for a change.
    I’m thinking it’s probably time to ease up on them but they’ve been my passion for so long it’s like telling me to go dig my own grave and I’m looking for any suggestions. I can’t find anyone local that wants to sit behind them to be the trigger guy so here I am asking you for help.

If anyone in NE Tx wants to help out and and shoot some crazy calibers at times let me know, I’d certainly appreciate the help or if you have any genius ideas I’m all ears

I've got a 375 h&h that I won't shoot off the bench any more. Luckily I'm pretty set on my loads and for zeroing I've got a 32yo son. I've got no advice for your situation. And I don't care what the gun magazines say, it's not more of a push than a kick.

Comment

Don't shoot them off a bench. Use shooting sticks. Shooting from the standing position is much easier because your body can flex and move more than it can if you're seated.

Comment

I’ve never used one but the first thing that comes to mind is the Cadwell Lead Sled. Its a weighted rifle rest that I believe uses a backstop behind the buttstock to absorb the recoil. That may be the ticket.

The Lead Sled 3 has become the standard in weight reduction shooting rests. The Lead Sled 3 reduces felt recoil by up to 95% while securely holding your gun on target.

Comment

Lead Sled is the ticket

Comment

Build a shooting bench that you can use standing up. Makes a world of difference.

Comment

Lead Sled is a bad idea for big bore rifles with wood stocks. Shoot off sticks or tripod and find a younger shoulder for load development is the best i got.

Comment

I sight mine in at the ranch, shoot it 3 or 4 times then go do something else for a little bit. If you spread it out over an hour or so it's not too bad. I also shoot off my knees on the bench, in an upright position.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                  I’ve never used one but the first thing that comes to mind is the Cadwell Lead Sled. Its a weighted rifle rest that I believe uses a backstop behind the buttstock to absorb the recoil. That may be the ticket.

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/res...-3/820310.html
                  I have heard of guys damaging very heavy recoiling guns on those things. Never used one, just stuff I have read.

Comment

Are they classic double barrel rifles? If not I’d just have a muzzle brake installed and you’ll be good.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Build a shooting bench that you can use standing up. Makes a world of difference.

∆∆∆ this is the answer. I believe at Holland and Holland and other big bore double rifle builders they use a standing bench to regulate the barrels.

Comment

If you were in the area where I live, I would not mind shooting that gun at all. I am betting that is one sweet gun.

You might talk to an older gunsmith. I know there are weights and or weighted devices, you can have installed in the stock to tame the recoil some. Then maybe a bit better recoil pad. The factory recoil pads, if that's what you have on the gun, are usually not the best.

I don't know what bullets you are shooting and what you are using the gun for. But I would stay away from the solid copper or solid brass bullets, they will increase the recoil. If you need a bullet for big dangerous game, like buffalo, I would stick to some of the conventional lead core bullets with the heavy jacketing, that used to be known as solids, in the days before the solid copper bullets. A soft point bullet should have a little less recoil, likely a little thinner jacketing. If you have been shooting and reloading those guns for years, you should know this stuff. But just incase, someone sold you on solid copper bullets and did not tell you the recoil was going to go up some.

I know my first time shooting Barnes solid copper bullets back in the 80s, was an experience. I was trying to develop a load for a 30-06, with some 200 gr. Barnes solids. I never could get the powder charge low enough the primers looked safe. The recoil went up a lot with those bullets. That 30-06, had a good bit more than a modern 30-06, to begin with, but with those Barnes bullets, it definitely stepped up the recoil quite a few notches. I could imagine, in a big gun, they would be all types of fun.

Comment

The lead sleds don’t work for big bores, I’ve busted more then a few scopes using them. On smaller calibers they work great but anything over 30 cal’s you start pushing the envelope of what the scopes can take.

I’ve never thought about going the stand up route for sighting in and load development but it honestly makes sense and I’m going to try one today on a rifle I knows ready to go and see if I can shoot a group with it. If it’s anywhere close I’ll build a bench and go this route. Most of the guns I buy are bolt guns but I have about a dozen double guns but those don’t require scopes and the accuracy past 50 yards isn’t really anything I’m concerned with and I rarely shoot unless I get a wild hair and kill a pig with an express which happens about once a year normally after they tick me off and I want to destroy them.

Comment

I don't shoot much on the bench but I tried one of these things the last time and it takes the bite off quite a bit. They make thicker versions too. https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-3500...dp/B0009TRNRK/

Comment

Kind of a long way around but I have done light loads to get the windage set and a chrony to understand the velocity. I then use my loading manual and (free) ballistics software to predict the elevation change needed on the scope for the full power loads. Usually only takes 2-3 full power and I’m set. Gotta be a little more patient but this works for me with my heavy kickers. 375 Ruger, 458 Lott, 338-378 Wby, and will use it at some point for my 460 Wby.

Comment

Working...
                              X