No announcement yet.

Processing Your Own Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For sure watch youtube. Bearded butchers are really awesome though their high quality equipment, walk in freezers and large deer aren't likely to be available to you. Outdoor edge used to have a great DVD back in the day that was helpful too.

Here's my tips:

In the field: Learn the hanging method and gutless method as both come in really handy when quartering. I use replaceable blade knives for most of the breaking down and try not to saw much to avoid hair and bone dust getting on my meat. Have a tarp or a table where youre hunting to keep meat clean and game bags are surprisingly great for even lease hunting. I like to skin and quarter mine as quickly as possible to cool it down. I've found that most taste issues happen when people wait too long to do these. If it's a hog, trim as much fat off of everything as possible because it can turn even in a freezer and deer fat can be really gamey as well so I like to remove as much as I can as well.

Aging: You can quarter out and put everything but the tenderloins in an ice box (technically you can but the tenderloins taste better fresh imo), stacking meat and ice in alternating layers. I personally like to salt each layer heavily. Cook the tenderloins and heart for dinner. I personally do this for 5 days, draining water daily and putting more ice as needed.

Butchering: An affordable grinder to get your foot in the door is the kitchen aid grinder attachment. It wont break the bank and your kitchen aid is almost 1.5 hp if you have one. Buy a better one if you realize you like it and if not you have a good grinder for mixing burger meat. Freeze all grinder parts and get meat super cold before grinding. Your shoulders, neck, brisket, flank, and trimmings provide much of the grinder meat. "Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife" is a great knife for the butchering process. I break down my rear quarters into muscle groups but some like to make their steak cuts prior to freezing. I don't make steaks on the rear but do with the back straps. Don't miss the glands. I like to wrap all my meat in saran wrap and then freezer paper for storing.

Bones: I take the leg bones, bake them at 400 for 30 minutes with herbs, garlic, and onions. Take them out, crack them to get the marrow exposed, scrape everything into a large pot and cook down over night. Run the broth through a sieve, salt to taste, and freeze in a mason jar for some great venison broth. Makes a great gravy when reduced among other things.

Comment

I make just jerky. It's so super easy, I like the stuff, and a deer lasts about 4 months. So if can snag 3 / year i'm good. Usually I only get two.

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
        Looking to find videos or info on learning to do my own. What tips / tricks & tools do I need?

Thanks
        Good question OP, thanks to those posting good information.

Comment

Get you one or 2 of these

If you keep eyes peeled you can pick up lots of LEM processing equipment post season at Academy. I was able to upgrade my grinder and pick up a 10 tray dehydrator for over 50% off a couple years ago.

Comment

^ great knives

Comment

I break everything down into 2-3 lb roasts, then vacuum seal and freeze them. I can then take out chunks and braise them, cube them and make chili, or grind them for burger/sausage. If you try to go from a whole deer to finished product, trimming every bit of silver skin, etc in one shot, you probably won’t want to do it again.

Comment

Knife,grinder and sausage stuffer if you want to make sausage.
                I was raised butchering our own meat it was a way of life and I always enjoyed doing it.

Comment

I want to start processing my own, too. I just know how time consuming it is... I bought a grinder a few years ago but need to get a tenderizer, casings, seasons, etc. This thread has me thinking about giving it a try.

Comment

I can't add anything to the wisdom already imparted here. I started processing my own game years ago and found dealing with the game meat from bow shot to table was very satisfying. I did start using a butchers glove on my left hand after cutting myself a few times.

Comment

I use a filet knife when processing a deer.

Comment

I put this video together a couple years ago. It focuses mostly on butchering and packaging once I get the quarters home. I hope it helps!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI4r9RXlgro"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI4r9RXlgro[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                          Looking to just cut it up and package it for freezing or grind and turn into sausage and what not? If you’re going to grind, spend the extra couple hundred and buy a quality grinder from the start. LEM/cabelas commercial is quality enough; classifieds is a good source.

Ultimately a knife is all you need. It ain’t rocket science. You won’t have professional results your first deer. Follow basic cleanliness rules us non-heathens understand and you won’t get sick. There’s probably a cost savings DIY, especially if you’re smoking stuff, but the process of processing is enjoyable.
                          I do my own and use a LEM grinder and a Forchner knife. Lots of boneless roasts. Free to do it myself

Comment

I butcher everything myself. From hogs to Elk. One thing that helped me is I built a table that's about 16 inches taller than a normal table. It really saves your back because you don't have to bend over while cutting up the meat.. I do the cutting and my wife either paper wraps it or vaccum seals it.. Paper wrapped seems to last longer for us..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                              I butcher everything myself. From hogs to Elk. One thing that helped me is I built a table that's about 16 inches taller than a normal table. It really saves your back because you don't have to bend over while cutting up the meat.. I do the cutting and my wife either paper wraps it or vaccum seals it.. Paper wrapped seems to last longer for us..
                              I’m so glad you said this. Paper wrapped has lasted longer for us also. Tried the vacuum pac deal, but it freezer burned before paper wrapped did.

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                                Looking to find videos or info on learning to do my own. What tips / tricks & tools do I need?

Thanks
                                I have my own processing business, if you want any tips or tricks from regular cuts to finished products like jerky, sausage, snack sticks, even boudin just message me and I will help out however I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X