No announcement yet.

You’re getting old when......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to school at Katy Elementary, Katy Junior High and Katy High School because that's all there were. They are working on Elementary 43, Junior High 16 and High School 9 right now for a total of 68 schools in KISD. I could go on and on about how it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
      I went to school at Katy Elementary, Katy Junior High and Katy High School because that's all there were. They are working on Elementary 43, Junior High 16 and High School 9 right now for a total of 68 schools in KISD. I could go on and on about how it used to be.
      My youngest sister graduated from Plano Senior High in 1979. Her senior class had more students than the whole district had when I graduated in '76.

Comment

When I went to UT, driving in from the north, along about Round Rock, when the Austin skylight appeared there were only two prominent buildings visible, The Texas Tower and the capitol building..

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
          Yep, Jamie and I were friends and were in the youth group together at Mt. Gilead Baptist Church. D-Mo, every time stuff comes up about the Keller area, you and I end up knowing lots of the same folks. I bet if we were to get together for a cold one, we'd figure out alot of folks we have in common.
          We'd better check on some statutes of limitation first!

Comment

Wally World and a school on both sides of the best dove field I ever hunted in NTX. This all in the past 6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              We'd better check on some statutes of limitation first!
              Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                Yup those geese used to pile up along I-10 at Beltway 8. I've seen so many geese the ground was white where the Igloo plant is now.... them geese gotta swing way right when coming down now just to see a patch of green
                It was the same way on SH 249 South of Tomball...nothing but cornfields that held geese by the millions in the winter.

I also remember...

Arrows were cedar with turkey fletchings and hand sharpened broadheads.

"Releases" did not exist.

Shotgun shell cases were made of paper.

A trophy deer was judged by the number of points, and nobody looked down on you for shooting a young deer. Folks hunted for the meat...not the horns.

Hunting land was almost unlimited and pretty much free for the asking.

No bag limits on fish.

Kids could make a lot of money selling furs, and many did.

Soda water bottles were returned for a 5 cent deposit.

I could go on...

I would give anything to be able to go back to those simpler times.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxLtXJzo3Ew"]merle haggard - are the good times really over Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

You know your getting old if your afraid to buy green bananas.

Comment

In my case it is when you start yawning at 7pm. Just about to eat supper and head to bed before sunset! It's hell to get old. I also have to put on my mask for the CPAP machine. As the old saying goes. Getting old is not for sissies!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                        Yup those geese used to pile up along I-10 at Beltway 8. I've seen so many geese the ground was white where the Igloo plant is now.... them geese gotta swing way right when coming down now just to see a patch of green
                        The geese by igloo, Jordan and feffers (sp). We hunted all those and the cardiffs. South of 10 on 1463 was one of the best properties we ever had. Doves, cranes,ducks and TONS of bass in a rice field holding pond.

Freaking neighborhood now
                        Originally posted by Man View Post
                        Thats where I grew up and still remember those Gallery tents as well...and much later on the beanbag tower down the road. My great grandparents had a grocery store and were told to pack it up and move...building a new freeway right on top your place!! Which would now be the underpass of 45/airline.
                        Wow. My great grandfather had a dairy farm where the fiesta sits now. Family had like 300 acres thereOne of the greatest tunes ever wrote Charlie.

All this old time talk made me drag out a photo album.

#stonecoldkillers

[emoji16]

I cant confirm how that brush puppy died via 22.250 ruger 1 and 55 grains of vmax. The aforementioned statue of limitations is prolly over!
                        Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          If you yearbook picture was on a stone tablet
                          that's just plain cold...funny though...

Hi Randy.

Comment

In high school I hunted in and around an abandoned rock quarry... was actually outside city limits of San Antonio at ingram & loop 410.
                            Back then loop 410 was the city limits.

that abandoned rock quarry... now is Ingram Park Mall. AND we had our guns in our truck back windows at school and NOBODY CARED...

Comment

You’re getting old when......

I had a great aunt who lived in Round Rock and our family reunions were held at her house for many years while I was growing up. A bunch of us kids would run through the fields, play in the creeks and fish the ponds all over that place. That land is now Mopac. We would sometimes drive into Austin which seemed like quite a hike back then. We would see deer and woods darn near everywhere. If you drove at night it was almost pitch dark drive all the way.

My...how things have changed.
                              Of course that whole area and I-35 corridor is all just a concrete jungle now...starting north around Georgetown all the way south to Buda.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                                Yep, the woods across from my folks' house in Keller on FM 1709 are now a plastic surgeon's office, an oral surgeon's office, gold course and big fancy houses. Was a horse ranch with lots of wooded area and a creek running through it. We had free run of the place. It was a great place to grow up. The place I used to dove hunt and fish some of the best stock tanks around is now a huge neighborhood. It was a good sized dairy farm. Funny, they named the neighborhood the same thing as the actual dairy farm that used to be in that spot "Crawford Farms", up in north Fort Worth/Keller. Mr. Crawford was the owner/operator of his dairy farm, but was also the counselor at the high school. I was friends with his youngest daughter. We were able to fish any time we wanted. Dove hunting was pretty solid around those stock tanks during dove season. Every time I drive by there, I remember and wonder if the folks that live in Crawford Farms even realize that it actually was "Crawford Farms." I'm told when he finally cut it loose, he sold that place for $11,000,000.00! Wouldn't surprise me at all, it was a good sized chunk of land in a prime spot.
                                Sounds like you shoulda married the daughter!

Comment

Working...
                                X