House buying question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House buying question

Buddy of mine at work just bought a house last Friday.

He started ripping carpet up and found termites and pile coming out of the baseboard.

The seller didn’t disclose that the had to get two exterior window trim fixed on 8 years ago until today( through their realtor telling his realtor which in turn sent him the conversation). Also the inspection report didn’t pick up the repairs that are very visible on the outside trim. Pictures looked like it was just fixed with caulk and rattle can paint.

He seems to think that he will be able to sue them for damages and repairs the house will need. What do y’all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they have them fixed because of termite damage?

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      Did they have them fixed because of termite damage?

That was my same question to him. I feel like the could easily play stupid. The conversation just said they fixed it because it was “rotting”

Comment

Did he do a termite inspection or just a home inspection? If the sellers knew of termites and didn't disclose I would think he has a case, if not my guess he doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
          Did he do a termite inspection or just a home inspection? If the sellers knew of termites and didn't disclose I would think he has a case, if not my guess he doesn't.

For some reason he has messages from his realtor saying it wasn’t required.. house built late 90s.

Comment

Good luck. If didn’t do a termite inspection probably not going to be favorable for you buddy.

Comment

Sounds like he may be making a homeowner's claim pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post
                For some reason he has messages from his realtor saying it wasn’t required.. house built late 90s.

Termite inspections are not required.

Comment

They aren't normally required, but a really good idea. He will have to prove they knew. One way would be to find out if they had a termite control company come out and give a bid.

Comment

A termite inspection likely wouldn't have found those termites anyway. They really just look at any exposed wood.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                      A termite inspection likely wouldn't have found those termites anyway. They really just look at any exposed wood.
                      This has been my experience also.

Comment

I am a home inspector but I don’t have my WDI certication. In the state of Texas we are required to have a separate license. I’d have to see the house to make a determination on what would actually go into the home inspection. Please remember that a home inspection is a visual, non-invasive inspection. With that being said, there are generally tell tail signs of WDI damage unless it had already been treated and repaired. I’d say this one is not on the home inspector... but, I’d have to see the home

Comment

^^^ home inspector here also. Always good to get a WDI on a home. Most companies will give a 90 day warranty for just this reason. If you open something up and find termites they will treat them for free. Have your friend look under the kitchen sink cabinet if it has been inspected/treated in the past there will likely be a sticker stating when it was inspected and if it was treated.

Comment

Good info guys thanks!

Comment

Here some pictures of the patch work. He just sent me. What y’all think?

Comment

Working...
                              X