Cottonseed in a bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
    I believe the percentage found through research is that if cotton seed makes up 30% or more of a buck diet, then they will see fertility issues. Anything under has been found to be okay. But you are right, it will most likely not be a problem, but I am not sure I would take the risk myself.

Here is a nice article talking about the pros and cons.
    http://springcreekoutdoors.com/cotto...-good-the-bad/
    The cons and mainly pros have been discussed at nausium on this site and other places but major deer herd managers in many different areas and they have never seen a decrease in fawn productivity. I'm betting some of their biggest bucks eat a large percentage of their nutritional intake as cotton seed.
    I'll take real work experiences over research any day of the week!

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
      I believe the percentage found through research is that if cotton seed makes up 30% or more of a buck diet, then they will see fertility issues. Anything under has been found to be okay. But you are right, it will most likely not be a problem, but I am not sure I would take the risk myself.

Here is a nice article talking about the pros and cons.
      http://springcreekoutdoors.com/cotto...-good-the-bad/
      The main studies were done on HIGH FENCE properties where the main diet was cotton seed. If you are on low fence where deer have multiple food sources then you will be okay. Them becoming sterile from eating cotton seed on low fence is not going to happen.

They were tearing my cotton seed up during the off season and since August they hardly touch the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
        Then just dump it in protein feeder. Start mix with corn at first.
        Agreed!!

Comment

I wish i could find a place to buy it in bulk between tyler and seymour but have had no luck so far

Comment

The bucks have not ate much of my cottonseed but the doe's tear that stuff up just at a single station the doe are eating about 160 lbs a week not sure why just the doe's

Comment

Tagged for later

Comment

Originally posted by tsnksmith View Post
                I don't mind the price of the cottonseed, we have been feeding it for 5 years not during the off season and seeing great results. We had the gravity protein feeders and the got clogged up. I was told to use the watershield by Purina BUT I question what they put in the watershield that doesn't allow it to get wet and what is does to the deer's guts.
                Is there a feed store in Menard that carries cottonseed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
                  I haven’t found one, I haul it in from Elgin

Comment

Got to the gin in Mereta and have them fill the bed of your truck up.

Save you a ton of money..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comptons has sold it in the past.

Comment

Bulk sacks of whole cottonseed

Where can you get supersacks of whole cottonseed??

Comment

If you're buying cottonseed in 50 pound bags y'all are paying about twice the price of buying bulk. Cottonseed can be a cheap way to feed protein.

Some of y'all are saying you would rather feed protein. Cottonseed is protein! It's also a great source of fiber. It can be rained on and will not ruin. Can't say that about most protein pellets. It's really easy to buy it in bulk. You can get a ton of cottonseed in the bed of a pick up truck. No way would I ever deal with 50 pound bags. It's twice the work and twice the price.

Comment

Does anyone know where the closest place to menard is to buy in bulk?

Comment

Comptons had Speer ag 50 lbs sacks last week.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                                If you're buying cottonseed in 50 pound bags y'all are paying about twice the price of buying bulk. Cottonseed can be a cheap way to feed protein.

Some of y'all are saying you would rather feed protein. Cottonseed is protein! It's also a great source of fiber. It can be rained on and will not ruin. Can't say that about most protein pellets. It's really easy to buy it in bulk. You can get a ton of cottonseed in the bed of a pick up truck. No way would I ever deal with 50 pound bags. It's twice the work and twice the price.
                                It’s protein but it doesn’t have the minerals the pellets do. Cottonseed will whip the bodies back into shape but after that it is lacking by itself

Comment

Working...
                                X