new range toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new range toy

well , this weekend my buddy brought his rock island armory 1911 9mm to show me. for some reason he doesn't keep anything for very long so , I just had to take it off his hands ... it's not like i need another , but hey the opportunity was there.... so i went ahead and got it.

it's nothing fancy , but he put fake ivory grips on it ... so at least you can find it easy.

shot a 10 round group on steel at 15 -20 yards or so and it seems to shoot decent unlike some 1911 i've had in the past that shoot low behind the front post , this one pretty much is just right ... last pic is zoomed in on the group, note the low right is just the shadow of a weed flower .. i wasn't really trying hard either.. but is shoots ok. i shot one round that aimed at the spot and got them all with a couple of inches ... good enough for government work ... 1911 government that is hehehe ... yeah my STI shoots better , but it's also 4x the price.

I cannot stand the guide rod however! racking the gun makes this high pitch sound as the guide rod has micro grooves in it, making the nastiest spring rubbing sound ... i just ordered a new guide rod and flat spring from wilson combat ... other than that , the gun is a nice beater 1911 and seems to be pretty decently put together.

it will make a nice ranch carry gun
    Attached Files

Sweet shooting. Congrats on the new toy.

Comment

9mm 1911's are awesome.

Comment

I bought my RIA .45 several years ago when they were first starting to appear over here. Paid $325 for it NIB. It looked pretty plain and the barrel bore looked like somebody had used a ball peen hammer inside. I thought there was no way this thing would hit the side of a barn. Boy was I wrong. I sold the Kimber I had and kept this one as my go to .45. Only thing I did was change the spring and make it into a 45 super and add Chip McCormick rose wood grips. It's still the most accurate 45 I have ever shot and the barrel bore still looks horrible inside.

Comment

I bought a RIA Ultra FS HC 6” 10mm a couple years ago. I was impressed at how well put together it is. I did some light polishing of the slide/rails and it’s smoother than some higher end 1911s I own costing a lot more money.

Also now has a 2#’ish trigger on it and a Bar Sto extended/threaded barrel and a Trijicon on it. Ready to hunt with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            I bought a RIA Ultra FS HC 6” 10mm a couple years ago. I was impressed at how well put together it is. I did some light polishing of the slide/rails and it’s smoother than some higher end 1911s I own costing a lot more money.

Also now has a 2#’ish trigger on it and a Bar Sto extended/threaded barrel and a Trijicon on it. Ready to hunt with it.

did you work the trigger ? mine is an a1 base model pretty much ... trigger is a crisp 4.5lbs .. i'm debating taking it apart and just going over all the parts with flitz and just basically doing a shine job ... nothing fancy . or just not bother and shoot it as is ...

my only gripe is that annoying screeching sound when racking the slide... can't wait for the wilson combat parts to come in and fix that nonsense.

I already flitzed the rails and it glides like butter now without that annoying recoil spring in ... once you put it in , it feels like dog sh1t.

i know they got to cut corners somewhere, but dang! i don't remember my old one ever doing that ... yeah i had another one kinda like it years ago , but i taught a friend of mine how to shoot and he loved it so much i ended up giving it up to him.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFC6R1EqvSU"]Rock Island Armory 9mm 1911 GI first trip to the range review ! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Oh yeah, nothing is stock about my trigger.

The actual trigger is a Fusion, then I used an H&R true radius sear along with a cylinder and slide leaf spring. I did not change the main spring but I did fit a new flat bottom firing pin stop. Being a 10mm is slings the brass a good 30’ even with the flat FPS. I also fitted an oversized thumb safety (single side instead of ambi) since I ride the safety when shooting a 1911/2011 style pistol.

Comment

Beautiful Pickup!!!

Comment

Nice pistola

Comment

this one is a slight upgrade from my last one, ambi safety , beaver tail , combat hammer , novak style rear sights, skeletonized adj trigger, swappable front sight.

as soon as i get rid of the annoying guide rod i'll be happy.

took it apart yesterday and did a complete internal polish job. No I can't leave any of my firearms alone.. I pretty much flitz everything with metal contact.

did the barrel feed ramp too , i just love when rounds just glide in like it's meant to be.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                      this one is a slight upgrade from my last one, ambi safety , beaver tail , combat hammer , novak style rear sights, skeletonized adj trigger, swappable front sight.

as soon as i get rid of the annoying guide rod i'll be happy.

took it apart yesterday and did a complete internal polish job. No I can't leave any of my firearms alone.. I pretty much flitz everything with metal contact.

did the barrel feed ramp too , i just love when rounds just glide in like it's meant to be.
                      Outstanding, hope you are happy with that nice pistol.

Comment

well , the guide rod and spring came in yesterday from wilson combat . surprisingly enough the finish on it is not quite as slick as i would have hoped , so while the screeching sound is gone , you can still feel the spring riding on the rod. I put it on a drill with some flitz and it's getting there ... i wouldn't call it "butter" like my STI but it's close enough for now. i'll put a few hundred rounds through it this weekend to break it in.

Comment

Working...
                        X