Let’s discuss rear bags for bench and field use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve used my atlas bipods with a cheap Caldwell rear bag for a long time.

I hate the rear bag these days. But there’s so many options idk what to get without trying one.

Protektor brand is interesting but so many options idk what’ll work.

Long Range Only wedge bag looks pretty good too.

Mostly will be used for shooting off a bench and laying prone shooting targets.

I run the Protektor aluminim rest with a 2F and 13BF bags. Has worked great for me so far.

Comment

Pint Sized Game Changer is a game changer IMO. I’ve hated bags, and love the PCGC. Does many things very well.

Comment

I came here thinking my ex mother in law, was riding in your backseat. I was going to offer up a prayer.

Comment

I like using both a front and rear bag. I have some of the Caldwell, but don't really like them much at all. Too light and hard to get them to take a shape, Then whatever you do, don't leave the Caldwell bags out in the rain. I was shooting one day, went inside to load some more ammo and then get back to shooting. It rained while I was loading. I completely forgot I left my shooting bags out on the bench. Whatever they put in them swells up a lot, when they get wet. I had to open both bags and take a bunch of whatever that stuff is, out of the bags. The stuff inside the bags looks like seeds, expands when it gets wet. Then they don't shrink back to the original size, once they dry out, nor do they sprout. I don't know what they put in those bags, but I am not a big fan of their bags, but that's all I see anymore, when I go anywhere that carries shooting supplies.

I really prefer bags filled with lead shot and or sand. Then need width front to rear, and side to side. Then decent height and not packed tightly, so you can shape them, as needed. The reason I like lead, is for the weight, sand is not as heavy, but shapes well.

As for brands, I don't have any clue what's out there. I do have one rear leather bag, that I really like a lot, but it's made out of a thin suede leather. The leather has holes worn in it, because I have fired too many heavy recoiling guns off of it. I think the matching front bag, that goes with that rear bag, long ago, got a large hole worn in it, so it got chunked. Those were for many years my favorite bags, I sure would like to find some made like those again. Those bags are sand filled. I have used other guys lead shot filled leather bags, don't know who made them, but they were very nice.

I do need to find some new bags, my Caldwell bags are in good condition, but I have not liked them since I got them. I guess I could just fill my Caldwell bags with sand or lead shot. I really don't like the design/shape of the rear Caldwell bag, I don't ever use it, I use that leather bag I have.
          Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-20-2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I haven’t tried one yet, but I read in a long range shooting book written by a former sniper and competition shooter that he prefers to fill a large sock with those plastic air soft BBs and tie it off. That way you can squeeze the sock gently to control your elevation. Lightweight and quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              Pint Sized Game Changer is a game changer IMO. I’ve hated bags, and love the PCGC. Does many things very well.
              This! Most used piece of gear in my kit. Handy to glass from too, in certain situations. I prefer the full size one when not hunting, but either will work well for both uses.

Comment

I use a tube sock filled with black beans.
                Never found anything better.

Comment

I use a Traust rear bag. 10" x 7" x 4" and only weighs 9oz.

Comment

I have been using a rear bag (cylinder shaped) from Midway for several years it is filled with plastic beads I love it

Comment

I just use an S2 2X4X6 retangular cube. Beside the range I carry it when hunting on foot. I am intrigued by the PSGC mentioned above. I am thinking the sock would be just as versatile but do not want to think about strapping one to pack or waist belt. For backpacking I think a tough fabric would be a must.

Comment

Standard fill Schmedium game changer for the range or not carrying far; pint size with git lite fill for hunting. it’s not even a fair comparison to most everything else, and I have a wiebad fortune cookie, wiebad pump pillow, one of the cylinders mentioned above, sock with airsoft beads, sock with rock salt, sock with deer corn. The fortune cookie came the closest. The deer corn was actually not bad either, but mice got into it.
                        Last edited by DocHolliday; 06-21-2021, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I was just looking into Phoenix shooting bags.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

A sock filled with "stuffed animal" pellets is what I use.

Comment

Working...
                              X