The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
    I’ve timed my XG50 a few times to see what it’s capable of. Some nights are horrible, and some don’t seem as bad. I’ve got 2 APS2, 1 APS3, and the internal battery. Most nights I hunt I need all of them. Other nights I can run just the APS3 and internal battery. So far I’ve only really used it in cold weather, so that’s not even a major factor. Most nights between 25-40*.

For reference I’ve had a couple Trails and normally carry a Helion XP50. The Helion is usually around 50% after a FULL night hunting with the smaller IPC7 battery. My XP50LRF would start on its second IPC7 around 4:30-5am and we usually hunt to 6ish. The XP38 would just barely make it a full night.
    I was hunting in around 50 degree weather. I know the colder weather will use more battery life but I sure wouldn't think if affected it that much. If my previous history held up I would get around 10 hours of run time with 2 APS2's, 1 APS3 and the internal battery. Maybe the XG drains the battery quicker with the better sensor.

Comment

Old video of my first hunt with the Axion XM30 before they enabled the audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        I was hunting in around 50 degree weather. I know the colder weather will use more battery life but I sure wouldn't think if affected it that much. If my previous history held up I would get around 10 hours of run time with 2 APS2's, 1 APS3 and the internal battery. Maybe the XG drains the battery quicker with the better sensor.
        Post us some kill videos of your XG please.

Comment

In. May be in the market at some point this year or early next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Post us some kill videos of your XG please.
            I dont have an XG. A friend of mine does and we have only been hunting together once and we got skunked so no video of any kills yet.

Comment

The videos I’ve watched don’t do the XG vs XP justice IMO. Comparing them in person the difference is definitely more noticeable. Either way both are quality units.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                The videos I’ve watched don’t do the XG vs XP justice IMO. Comparing them in person the difference is definitely more noticeable. Either way both are quality units.
                That's true. The recorded video on the XP looks better than the XG recorded video does but the XG is absolutely as good as the XP through the eye piece.

Jason

Comment

Has anyone seen through the AGM Rattler? Wondering how the clarity compares to the Hogster. I’m on the fence between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebowhunter03 View Post
                    Has anyone seen through the AGM Rattler? Wondering how the clarity compares to the Hogster. I’m on the fence between the two.

I’ve heard Hogster is maybe 5% better in native resolution but Rattler may edge it out in 2X native. I’d love to see video comparisons as well.

Comment

Hey guys, I'm going to pull the trigger on a thermal this year. Our lease has 2 or 3 big wheat fields, about 500 yards across. So shots of 100 to 250 yds would be likely. Maybe also sit at a blind or two, with shots around 100 to 200 yds.

What do you recommend for my first thermal? I want to shoot pigs and coyotes. Would mount on my 6.5 Grendel or my 5.56.

Budget: under $3000. I assume that's a big enough budget?

Comment

Originally posted by lnester View Post
                        Hey guys, I'm going to pull the trigger on a thermal this year. Our lease has 2 or 3 big wheat fields, about 500 yards across. So shots of 100 to 250 yds would be likely. Maybe also sit at a blind or two, with shots around 100 to 200 yds.

What do you recommend for my first thermal? I want to shoot pigs and coyotes. Would mount on my 6.5 Grendel or my 5.56.

I'm sure Jason can get you hooked up... but for pigs there is no reason to shoot 100+ yards. They are pretty dumb at night and you can easily walk within 50 yards of them if the wind is in your favor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you want video recording capabilities? Sound with video? There are several sub-$3k scopes that have been announced and about to be shipped so you’ll get a more educated answer in a month or two but keep your eyes on the Bering Optics Hogsters and AGM Rattlers. Both have a couple models in your price range. Hogsters would need an external DVR for recording, Rattlers have onboard recording. If you can put several hundred more dollars with it the Pulsar Thermion XQ38 would be a good option. It has recording and sound. Call Jason with Outdoor Legacy Gear. He’ll ask some questions and give you a solid recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebowhunter03 View Post
                            Yes sir I've been testing them for a couple months. Side by side with the comparable model Hogsters and the image quality is extremely similar. Sometimes I see no real difference and sometimes I see maybe a 5% difference. I was seeing about a 10% difference at first but I toyed with the settings and boosted the brightness more than I normally would and it really helped.

They are both great scopes and extremely similar. The Rattler is appealing because he includes an American Defense QD mount (it pushes the scope far enough back for bolt guns too!), it has internal video recording, a better button/control layout and it cost less. Hogsters have been around for over a year and will continue to sell well because of their known quality and the 4 year warranty (3 yr on the Rattler) but the Rattlers are going to be extremely popular this year for good reason.

Jason

Comment

If you topped your budget out just a touch higher and you'll really be shooting 100+ yards all the time, I'd highly suggest the Bering Optics Super Hogster 3x magnification. Great image quality and the 3x will be a big help once you get out over 100 yards. If you have to keep the budget down below $3,000 you could go with the Hogster 35 or AGM Rattler 35, 2x and 2.1x magnification respectively but you're going to find yourself zooming up a lot and losing your image quality. If you're really doing a lot over 100+ you could go with the new Pulsar Thermion XM30 3.5x, which is a lot of mag for close range shooting but great for the longer shots and it's very affordable at $2295.

Feel free to call me some time if you'd like to discuss all the options in detail. I'm going to go ahead and tell you that thermals right now are exactly like ammo and it's probably going to be that way for at least a few more months. I'd plan ahead in case the scope you decide on has a wait to get it. Right now guys are calling all over wanting scopes for coyote tournaments that start in 1-3 weeks and they have a 0% chance of getting one. Just be aware of the current supply/demand issues.

Jason
                              (877)350-1818
                              outdoorlegacygear.com

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                                If you topped your budget out just a touch higher and you'll really be shooting 100+ yards all the time, I'd highly suggest the Bering Optics Super Hogster 3x magnification. Great image quality and the 3x will be a big help once you get out over 100 yards. If you have to keep the budget down below $3,000 you could go with the Hogster 35 or AGM Rattler 35, 2x and 2.1x magnification respectively but you're going to find yourself zooming up a lot and losing your image quality. If you're really doing a lot over 100+ you could go with the new Pulsar Thermion XM30 3.5x, which is a lot of mag for close range shooting but great for the longer shots and it's very affordable at $2295.

Feel free to call me some time if you'd like to discuss all the options in detail. I'm going to go ahead and tell you that thermals right now are exactly like ammo and it's probably going to be that way for at least a few more months. I'd plan ahead in case the scope you decide on has a wait to get it. Right now guys are calling all over wanting scopes for coyote tournaments that start in 1-3 weeks and they have a 0% chance of getting one. Just be aware of the current supply/demand issues.

Jason
                                (877)350-1818
                                outdoorlegacygear.com

Jason, are you recommending the Super Hogster over the Thermion XQ38 or is this recommendation based on the price with the Super Hogster being $180 less than the XQ38?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X