Hunting rifle build along. Critique welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
    The research I did looked just fine with a 1:9 or 1:8.5 just so happened at this point my smith was able to get his hands on the exact barrel contour the stock is supposed to be fitted for and it was the 1:8.7
    His initial suggestion was a 1:9, he’s built a few 280ai’s so I took his advice.

Drop out mag.
    I’ll keep it in mind and look at the options y’all mentioned. I’m just not a huge fan of them on a no bells, smooth hunting rifle. To me the hinged floor plate was always a standard with a hunting rig.
    Understood! In stock now is always best! Lol.

It took me a bit to get used to a mag hanging down. The HS is the smallest profile. But also the most expensive and uses proprietary mags.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      Understood! In stock now is always best! Lol.

It took me a bit to get used to a mag hanging down. The HS is the smallest profile. But also the most expensive and uses proprietary mags.
      I had to go back and see the HS to remind myself what it looked like.
      I’ll say this if I was doing a Drop magazine the HS is definitely on the list for its slim profile. I had looked at them before but it was while back.

Comment

I’ll say this if I was doing a Drop magazine the HS is definitely on the list for its slim profile. I had looked at them before but it was while back.
        The flush mag on my X-bolt 338 doesn't detract at all. Assuming the HS is similar.

Comment

Someone told me Hawkins sells a flush fit mag for their M5 DBM. I never found it but didn’t look real hard. May check that out

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Someone told me Hawkins sells a flush fit mag for their M5 DBM. I never found it but didn’t look real hard. May check that out

Their M5 footprint “hunter model” is what they call it. Short action only though. They are in the process of testing the long action prototypes

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              Their M5 footprint “hunter model” is what they call it. Short action only though. They are in the process of testing the long action prototypes

Sierracharlie out....

The Hawkins M5 'Oberndorf' has been out since May in long action-- I purchased and installed on my 257wby-- worked and fit perfectly as a replacement to a magazine fed bottom metal. I got mine from OTM but I think Redhawk has them too.

Definitely nice to have the option to use mags or go to a sleeker 'bdl' profile.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                The Hawkins M5 'Oberndorf' has been out since May in long action-- I purchased and installed on my 257wby-- worked and fit perfectly as a replacement to a magazine fed bottom metal. I got mine from OTM but I think Redhawk has them too.

Definitely nice to have the option to use mags or go to a sleeker 'bdl' profile.

I was referring to the DBM hunter model they came out with. It doesn’t have the metal sitting below the stock, only the mag.

But yes their bdl style stuff is nice too.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                  I was referring to the DBM hunter model they came out with. It doesn’t have the metal sitting below the stock, only the mag.

But yes their bdl style stuff is nice too.

Sierracharlie out....

Sorry mis-read that!! Saw the flush part and went with it! Those mags look slick (and light!)

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                    Sorry mis-read that!! Saw the flush part and went with it! Those mags look slick (and light!)

Ha no worries. The thread started on bdl then dbm came up. I had to make sure I wasn’t talking out of my butt either lol

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Reference pics

Hs bottom metal vs the Hawkins.

Right out the gate the one negative I see in the hs over the Hawkins is the brand specific mag.

Still, at this point I’m leaning BDL bottom metal
                      Just for the smooth fit. Just wanted to add some pics for clarification in what’s being compared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Reference pics

Hs bottom metal vs the Hawkins.

Right out the gate the one negative I see in the hs over the Hawkins is the brand specific mag.

Still, at this point I’m leaning BDL bottom metal
                        Just for the smooth fit. Just wanted to add some pics for clarification in what’s being compared.

That’s a standard AI mag in the Hawkins. That’s what I was saying earlier. They supposedly make one that doesn’t hang down.

Comment

Hmmm. Interesting. I must be missing that somewhere. I’ll dig around

Comment

Ok found it.
                            It’s a specific magazine for that bottom metal.

There was some confusion on my end.

Comment

So ultimately to get the most flush DBM you’re gonna have to go with a specific magazine. Not a deal killer by any means.
                              And the slight bit of hang down from the magazines is negligible.

Only argument at this point is availability or cost.
                              But can’t say I’m against a DBM if it sits that flush

Comment

Ok found it.
                                It’s a specific magazine for that bottom metal.

There was some confusion on my end.

That’s it!

Comment

Working...
                                X