Hunting rifle build along. Critique welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting rifle build along. Critique welcome

This season after talking with some friends and assessing my rifle stash I realized that I have a lot calibers that do the same things but I had an issue. All my rifles are “pretty” guns. Wood or laminate stocked guns that I’m honestly scared to tote around for fear of blemishing them or introducing them to the elements.

I’ve wanted a custom forever and always talk myself out of it in some way or another. Oddly enough I found a Mcmillan Remington Classic Stock for a decent deal and took the plunge.
    I took inventory, realized I have some hunting and fishing gear I can move and yesterday went to talk with my local builder. I’ll be working with Crossroads Precision Rifles out of Victoria. Keeping this local was important to me and Russell has always been very helpful and a great guy to deal with.

Instead of building off of one of the BDL’s I currently have I decided to offload and go with a custom action.

Here’s where we’re at.
    Action: Defiance Tenacity long action w/ black nitride coating
    Barrel: Bartlien 7mm barrel 1 in 8.7 twist 2B contour
    Trigger: Triggertech (model not certain yet)
    Bottom metal: Remington BDL (if I can find it) or Hawkins BDL style (if it fits the stock)
    Stock: McMillan Remington Classic Hunter (60:40) black/grey marble
    Caliber: 280ai

The stock should show up in the next day or two and I’ll get pics posted as we go.
    The barrel and action are also on order.

Sounds like a great setup, optics are gonna be your next choice..
    What are you thinking? I've got two Rifles setup with
    Nightforce SHV 5-20x56. C534's for the money its a solid choice... My custom 7mm stw is topped with a Zeiss 6.5-20x50
    MC Conquest that has seen 20 years of hard living..
    Its been rock solid... My Family's Place isn't far from your builder I may look him up.. I want something similar to yours...

Comment

Russell is for sure good people. He did some cerakote for me on a project and me and my boys shoot in his monthly 22 matches. He is very knowledgeable and very easy to work with.

Comment

I’ve started to think about optics but I have zero experience where to start with any of the latest and greatest. Older leupolds and nikons were always my go to scopes but with this build I feel I’ll need to step it up.
        That said, this is a hunting rifle, I doubt that at this time I’ll need something specific to long range bench shooting or long range hunting. (Over 300 yards is long range to me for hunting)

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
          Russell is for sure good people. He did some cerakote for me on a project and me and my boys shoot in his monthly 22 matches. He is very knowledgeable and very easy to work with.
          Yessir. I always appreciate that with people. Easy to work with and talk to. Not pushy, not arrogant about their knowledge.
          He’s told me about those .22 matches and I see some of them on FB. It blows my mind people shoot like that with little .22lr’s

Comment

Stock came in today. Pretty happy with it, I was concerned how I would like the red recoil pad butt after seeing it in front of me I’m pleased. Kind of gives a nod to the old classic look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome!!! Currently waiting on parts for my gun. Shipping seems really slow for some reason lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like it

Comment

Looks good! Don’t be afraid of the Leupold Vx5HD or vx6hd if you are a Leupold fan. They are great options for a hunting rifle you want to keep weight down on.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Looks good. Drop out magazine perhaps? I love being able to drop the mag and have all my bullets in one hand. Not sure if that action will work with a drop out but just a thought.

Comment

Stock looks great and seems like a well thought out build!!

I would encourage you to check out Hawkins for their Lightweight Hybrid Rings- they make a set specific to Defiance. And, as stated above- for your purpose I think you would be well served with a Leupold VX5/6HD

Comment

Good looking stock. And sounds like a nice build.

Few questions

Why the 8.7 twist? Just go standard 8 twist 5R rifling.

I’d recommend an HS dbm if you can afford to jump the price up. Since switching to mag fed guns I way prefer that over a hinged floor plate. Any good smith can make them fit with ease.

What’s the optics budget?
                        The vx5 and 6 optics are great for the money.

I agree on the above recommendation on the Hawkins rings. I have a pair waiting on my current build that’s finished. I just gotta go pick it up.

Comment

Off to a good start Sir!

Looking forward to your progress pics.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Good looking stock. And sounds like a nice build.

Few questions

Why the 8.7 twist? Just go standard 8 twist 5R rifling.

I’d recommend an HS dbm if you can afford to jump the price up. Since switching to mag fed guns I way prefer that over a hinged floor plate. Any good smith can make them fit with ease.

What’s the optics budget?
                            The vx5 and 6 optics are great for the money.

I agree on the above recommendation on the Hawkins rings. I have a pair waiting on my current build that’s finished. I just gotta go pick it up.
                            The research I did looked just fine with a 1:9 or 1:8.5 just so happened at this point my smith was able to get his hands on the exact barrel contour the stock is supposed to be fitted for and it was the 1:8.7
                            His initial suggestion was a 1:9, he’s built a few 280ai’s so I took his advice.

Drop out mag.
                            I’ll keep it in mind and look at the options y’all mentioned. I’m just not a huge fan of them on a no bells, smooth hunting rifle. To me the hinged floor plate was always a standard with a hunting rig.

Comment

On the optics.
                              I haven’t stuck myself with a budget. I’d say if I could stay around 1000-1500 for this rifle I’d be fine with it as far as scopes go.
                              But the Leupold 5’s and 6’s have been some of the scopes I’ve browsed. I haven’t gone too deeply into that yet.
                              Last edited by SwampBuck; 01-10-2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X