Food plot prep. 1st attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot prep. 1st attempt

Planning on putting a food plot in for the first time. Got it shredded and disced up. Gonna have to plant the beginning of may.
    Attached Files

Disc work
    Attached Files

Comment

More disc there is a creek with a natural spring that runs north and south about 20 yards to the west. Should be a good spot as lots of activity has been seen
      Attached Files

Comment

What are you planting ?

Comment

It will be a soybean mixture from producers in Bryan

Comment

looks good.... are you planning on spraying before planting, or planting gly tolerant soybeans? If not, that grass is most likely to come back really strong, plus all the other weed seed that was already in the soil waiting for a disturbance.

Comment

Originally posted by RCDuck View Post
              looks good.... are you planning on spraying before planting, or planting gly tolerant soybeans? If not, that grass is most likely to come back really strong, plus all the other weed seed that was already in the soil waiting for a disturbance.
              I planned on running a disc again. I’ll look into spraying. What do you spray ?

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                I planned on running a disc again. I’ll look into spraying. What do you spray ?
                Generic glyphosate from Tractor Supply is what I use. If that’s bermuda it’s pretty hard to kill. Gly at 2.5 oz. per gallon of water, wait a week to 10 days and disc. If you plant Roundup Ready beans you can spray them again after they get 8”/10” tall and kill whatever weeds and grass came up. It won’t harm the beans. You really need a soil test to know how much lime, if any, and how much of what kind of fertilizer you need.

On a new plot I plant buckwheat for a season or two in the spring. It has lots of soil benefits plus it grows so fast and thick it chokes out weeds and grasses. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  Generic glyphosate from Tractor Supply is what I use. If that’s bermuda it’s pretty hard to kill. Gly at 2.5 oz. per gallon of water, wait a week to 10 days and disc. If you plant Roundup Ready beans you can spray them again after they get 8”/10” tall and kill whatever weeds and grass came up. It won’t harm the beans. You really need a soil test to know how much lime, if any, and how much of what kind of fertilizer you need.

On a new plot I plant buckwheat for a season or two in the spring. It has lots of soil benefits plus it grows so fast and thick it chokes out weeds and grasses. Good luck !

This.... with a question for Dry Creek.... if you mix 2.5 oz per gallon how much Gly are you applying per acre? I think with the low volume my sprayer sprays, 2.5 oz per gallon would be a really light application.

Comment

I spray from a 25 gallon Fimco with two spray nozzles on a bar, covers about 10’/12’ wide. I also spray with a 60 gallon PTO driven rig on my tractor that covers about 25’ wide. I don’t worry about acres, because most of my plots are irregular and acreage is hard to figure. I travel about 3 mph in either my CanAm or my tractor and wet the vegetation. I know lots of guys go quarts per acre, but I’ve just learned to guess pretty closely at how much mix I’m gonna need. Sometimes I miss it a little, but usually I have a few gallons left. I just spray it on the thickest or tallest part of whatever I’m trying to kill. It may not be scientific, but it works for me.

Comment

How old are those pics? When’s the last time you have seen that plot?

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                          How old are those pics? When’s the last time you have seen that plot?
                          April 18, 2020

Thanks for the spray tips.

Comment

Well, its a done deal. I was way to late togged the stuff I wanted but I got some seed in the ground today and got is covered. I will be more prepared for the fall food plot as I have a better idea on what to do.

Comment

What did you end up planting then?

Comment

Working...
                              X