Engine decision on '97 Chevy Z71

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
    I would get a second opinion. Unless you 100% trust the mechanic. If it is indeed a total failure. Replacement with the 100k mile warranty is hands down the route to go. Rebuild if you are able. A true quality rebuild will eat you up in labor with minimal warranty. Unless... you have a quality machine shop in town with the 5.7L units ready to go. I have 435K miles on my 98. Original engine. Multiple water pumps and 1 trans rebuild. I drive it on 14 hr road trips 5-6Xs a year. Pulling boats, campers, racecars you name it. I also travel deep into Mexico to the ocean. Several times a year. Mileage is a number.... taking great care is important. I've seen abused 5.7s with way more miles than yours. Where are you located? I don't mind checking it out.

Side note.... I am a GM master and ASE master tech. Not that mean a hill of beans. But I don't mind helping.
    I'm in Burleson. That's a kind offer, sir.

Comment

I would look around for a better price, even though $5k is pretty reasonable. I got a quote from Henna Chevrolet for a new 6.0 liter to replace in my 2500 HD. Just wanted to see what it would cost and they quoted me $4200 for the motor and all the wiring harnesses and everything. That did not include install, but I know someone that would install it for $800. Also came with a warranty and all of that too. All I know is that I cannot buy a new truck for $5000 so when it comes time to replace, I will drop a new motor in it.

Comment

Whatever you do, when you go to sell that truck, can you message me first? I would love dibs on it, especially if it gets a new motor.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          Whatever you do, when you go to sell that truck, can you message me first? I would love dibs on it, especially if it gets a new motor.
          Dang.. I just sold a 97 last week with a brand new crate mother in it!!!!

Comment

I’ve got 280k on my 97. If you replace the engine, upgrade the fuel injection stuff. Chevy had some issues with the spider injection system they used. I’m curious as to the issue with the engine. I need to overhaul mine because it leaks oil.

Comment

Does it only run rough at idle?

Comment

254-twofourseven-78zero5

If you can be in Copperas Cove not this weekend but following i will give it a look.

Comment

UPDATE for those interested.

Got that second opinion and the mechanic strongly recommended an upper engine rebuild. New heads, gaskets, spark plugs and wires, oil change, coolant change. Maybe a little more. Cost was $3,800 with a three year warranty. I went that direction and the truck runs better than ever.

Thanks for the guidance, gentlemen. Saved me $1,500.

Comment

I would ask him about what oil, and additives he would recommend for an engine that age, with new top end, that doesn’t get driven much.

And I would be mindful to fire it up and drive it around regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I would ask him about what oil, and additives he would recommend for an engine that age, with new top end, that doesn’t get driven much.

Sitting vehicles are like sitting houses. They rot. Good advice. My advice, clean good quality oil and filters. Drive often.

Comment

I feel like maybe you should have freshened the lower end up too. If it starts having oil leaks, that $1500 you saved will disappear

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                          I feel like maybe you should have freshened the lower end up too. If it starts having oil leaks, that $1500 you saved will disappear
                          Don’t rain on his parade. I’d rather have a truck that runs good and has an oil seep. Chevys don’t leak any way

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

It's my daily driver. I live 5 miles from my office so unless I am out and about I don't put on many miles.

Comment

Working...
                            X