New Public Hunting opportunity in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Still is. And still will be. It's a Federal WMA opening up more opportunities.
    Unless I misread it, it is currently a wildlife refuge, not a WMA.

Wasn’t it a state WMA at one time.

For some reason I remember running some roads in that area MANY years ago scouting out a state WMA that was of pretty significant size.

It was a LONG time ago though.

Comment

Comment

From what I had read, never a WMA, was private hunting leases.

Comment

That is correct, Razorback01.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Great news!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Actually it was not a deer lease but rather multiple deer leases, on both sides of the river, swallowed up by the nature conservancy and then taken over by the USFW as a refuge. Great public hunt opportunity for some but a lot of folks lost their private hunting ground that had been leased for decades because of it. It’s not gonna be hagerman quality deer.

Comment

Anytime tpwd is involved the quality will go down

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
                  Actually it was not a deer lease but rather multiple deer leases, on both sides of the river, swallowed up by the nature conservancy and then taken over by the USFW as a refuge. Great public hunt opportunity for some but a lot of folks lost their private hunting ground that had been leased for decades because of it. It’s not gonna be hagerman quality deer.
                  From what I understand, it was going to be a new lake until it was blocked. So, either way it was going to be "lost".

Encompassing the upper Neches River, the unit preserves a pristine waterway. After the city of Dallas proposed constructing a dam along the body of water, conservationists petitioned the federal government to protect the river, which resulted in the 2006 creation of the refuge. The Texas Water Board sued to prevent this acquisition, but in 2010, a federal judge ruled in favor of the Fish & Wildlife Service.[2][3][4] Although the river is served by several canoe outfitters, the mainland portion of the facility is closed to visitors.[5]

Comment

From USFW hunt plan.

A. Hunter Permit Application, Selection, and/or Registration Procedures Hunters wanting to participate in hunts must apply online through the TPWD website (www.TPWD.texas.gov). TPWD is responsible for handling all applications and conducting the drawings and collecting fees. TPWD will notify hunters when selected for one of the hunts and a complete package with permits and instructions sent to the hunters. Persons with disabilities (meeting TPWD qualifications) may be provided accommodations as practicable.

Rwc

Comment

I put in for hunts there, now pending 2nd draw.

Comment

I won the dead water unit. Anyone have any information on this unit?

Comment

Hoping to draw for this one

Comment

Working...
                          X