Scouting LBJ for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scouting LBJ for the first time

I will be going out to LBJ to go scouting for the first time. The only thing I am interested in at this moment is pigs for bow hunting. I have NEVER been hunting. I have, however, been on leases with my late uncle when I was around 10 (I am 43 now). Sat in blinds and refilled feeders. But never with any one while they were hunting. This is a total new experience for me. I know to "look for signs" and for water. I was just hoping someone could give me a few unit numbers that they have had luck on or anything like that. I live in Fort Worth and don't have a lot of funds to put toward gas to make several trips. Once I get my feet wet on this, I will be good. My 15 year old son wants me to take him out as well. So please, any help that could be given would be much appreciated to at least get me pointed in the right direction and not disappoint him. Me, I could care less about being disappointed, but would at least like to look like I know what I am doing. I am taking a week's vacation on the week of 5/17 and would like to poke and prod out there a bit.

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
    I will be going out to LBJ to go scouting for the first time. The only thing I am interested in at this moment is pigs for bow hunting. I have NEVER been hunting. I have, however, been on leases with my late uncle when I was around 10 (I am 43 now). Sat in blinds and refilled feeders. But never with any one while they were hunting. This is a total new experience for me. I know to "look for signs" and for water. I was just hoping someone could give me a few unit numbers that they have had luck on or anything like that. I live in Fort Worth and don't have a lot of funds to put toward gas to make several trips. Once I get my feet wet on this, I will be good. My 15 year old son wants me to take him out as well. So please, any help that could be given would be much appreciated to at least get me pointed in the right direction and not disappoint him. Me, I could care less about being disappointed, but would at least like to look like I know what I am doing. I am taking a week's vacation on the week of 5/17 and would like to poke and prod out there a bit.
    I will tell you this , very few people will tell you where they hunt or even the general area that said look up the Whitney Aquila post and you will get some ideas. You may see me out there ( not much in last 2 years ) but I am out there. I hunt the west side of Whitney and drive a white beat up Tahoe . Good luck in your hunting!

Comment

If you're looking for pigs first find the creek beds leading to springs, ponds, run off, etc.
      You'll find their wallers and nesting sites and sleep sites.
      For food sources pigs are notoriously voracious. They will literally eat anything and everything and when looking for for food are usually always on the move.
      Work your way INTO or CROSSWIND and move slowly and as silent as possible and its possible you could walk right up close to a sounder.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
        I don’t have enough time/points on this site to be allowed to email you directly. But if you can DM me I’ll share what I’ve seen out there and hopefully it will help you out.

Comment

I have seen hogs on just about every unit I've been on at LBJ. Just pick a spot and go; if you put the time in you'll run into them eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by pd1969 View Post
            I don’t have enough time/points on this site to be allowed to email you directly. But if you can DM me I’ll share what I’ve seen out there and hopefully it will help you out.
            Sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
              I have seen hogs on just about every unit I've been on at LBJ. Just pick a spot and go; if you put the time in you'll run into them eventually.

X2

Comment

I've never hunted LBJ but agree with looking for signs near water. Strongly recommend treating your clothes with permethrin ahead of time for scouting...chiggers are out!

Comment

Well, this week was a bust, thank you Mother Nature!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X