AR language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR language

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I just checked the annual for my county to see what is legal for Saturday. It states:

Bag Limit: 4 deer, no more than 2 bucks, and no more than 2 antlerless, all seasons combined.
    Antler Restrictions: The bag limit in this county is two legal bucks, but only ONE may have an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. A legal buck deer is defined as a buck deer with: at least one unbranched antler; OR an inside spread of 13 inches or greater (does not apply to a buck that has an unbranched antler). A hunter may also take ONE buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater in a different county with antler restrictions, and not to exceed that county's bag limit.

So if I'm understanding that right, it's like reverse AR and I can only shoot one nice buck but I could take two runts?

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
    Sorry if this has been brought up before but I just checked the annual for my county to see what is legal for Saturday. It states:

Bag Limit: 4 deer, no more than 2 bucks, and no more than 2 antlerless, all seasons combined.
    Antler Restrictions: The bag limit in this county is two legal bucks, but only ONE may have an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. A legal buck deer is defined as a buck deer with: at least one unbranched antler; OR an inside spread of 13 inches or greater (does not apply to a buck that has an unbranched antler). A hunter may also take ONE buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater in a different county with antler restrictions, and not to exceed that county's bag limit.

So if I'm understanding that right, it's like reverse AR and I can only shoot one nice buck but I could take two runts?
    yes. your options are, 1 nice buck and 1 spike, or 2 spikes. another instance of science showing that spikes are inferior. and should be culled.

not sure where "reverse AR" comes from, but thats been the AR rules since they came out.

Comment

Correct you can shoot 2 tiny infant deer vs 1 13”+ & a spike

Comment

You can shoot one buck over 13" that has both antlers branched (4 pt) and then shoot a spike or 3 point, or you can shoot 2 spikes. Been like that for a long time.

Comment

Yes despite an excessive amount of data saying it is the wrong thing to do you can kill 2 spikes or 1 spike and 1 deer that actually has some age on it.............

-john

Comment

It's just so strange to me. I have not hunted in the last 2 seasons since we moved but everywhere I hunted before then, for years you could only take a deer over 13" or one with an unbranched antler.

Heck, I may not even shoot anything. I want some meat in the freezer and I've been watching a group of doe come through my yard and down onto the river bank every morning for weeks now. Starting to see a buck or two straggle through behind them now. So far one good 10pt and a couple of baby 4 and 6 pointers. Just really questioning whether I want to arrow a neighborhood deer and risk it running up to die on somebody's back porch. Where I am we are about 110yards from the houses down to where the river bank drops over, legal shooting area.

Comment

It's just so strange to me. I have not hunted in the last 2 seasons since we moved but everywhere I hunted before then, for years you could only take a deer over 13" or one with an unbranched antler.

Heck, I may not even shoot anything. I want some meat in the freezer and I've been watching a group of doe come through my yard and down onto the river bank every morning for weeks now. Starting to see a buck or two straggle through behind them now. So far one good 10pt and a couple of baby 4 and 6 pointers. Just really questioning whether I want to arrow a neighborhood deer and risk it running up to die on somebody's back porch. Where I am we are about 110yards from the houses down to where the river bank drops over, legal shooting area.
              Got a bowfishing rig?

Seriously, though, this is exactly why I use a crossbow. I can throw a huge broadhead through them, and they don't go far. I shoot the NAP FOC, and out of ~20 deer over the past 7 years, only a few have made it off of the 1 acre I hunt on in our neighborhood.

Comment

AR language

What state were you hunting in??? [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Ever since antler restrictions were put in place, it has always been the same way it is now! If you hunted in Tx, then you misread the law.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Last edited by Bisch; 09-28-2021, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  What state were you hunting in??? [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Ever since antler restrictions were put in place, it has always been the same way it is now! If you hunted in Tx, then you misread the law.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Yeah I had a brain fart this morning and not enough coffee. I understand now.
                  Last edited by TexaRican; 09-28-2021, 07:20 AM.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Working...
                    X