High Fence Ranch Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Fence Ranch Trip

I had the opportunity in early August to take my kids to a friends ranch outside of Sonora. His whitetails herd got wiped out in the anthrax bloom 2 years ago and most of his exotics. We shot the remaining native genetics that season, 7 deer total I believe. He started bringing in new genetics last year. It's going to be a special place in just a few years, both breeders went over 200" before being released. Photos #1,2,4 and the video are on their second set of antlers. They're gonna be big boys in a few years.

We were after blackbuck for my oldest and while we got one stalk in I had 4 kids in total with me and it was a futile effort. We'll have to give it another go later this year.

He knows he looks good by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

When the sun hits just right by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

I think this doe is still pregnant but I've never herd of deer being pregnant this late, she had a full belly and was very thin through the hips and back. She moved well, ate and drank her fill. Any thoughts?
    I think she's a little late by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

I like them trashy by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Red Tag = Breeder by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

A couple of short clips. I was on a new Gitzo ball head which I'm loving, I much prefer my fluid gimbal for video So pardon the shakes. You might have to click through to Flickr to get it to play.

Young up and comer by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

My oldest daughter, she asked to borrow my sunglasses while we were riding the Mule back to camp so she could "look cool" while I was snapping photos. I think she pulled it off!

She's Cooler Than Me by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Great pics. Especially your kiddo.

Comment

Nice
      No clue on the doe except she looks bad. Maybe she has fawns on the ground somewhere already and is being drawn down from nursing. Did you notice her bag?

What makes the LO believe these deer won't be susceptible to anthrax again, or is he just thinking well I have to try and rebuild herd?

Comment

Not sure what is wrong with the doe, but she does not look good. I do not think she is pregnant. The swollen abdomen may be fluid accumulation due to whatever is wrong with her.

Comment

Great pictures!
          Several of those deer look pretty poor, especially the doe. Sickly IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
            Great pics. Especially your kiddo.
            Thank you!

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
            Nice
            No clue on the doe except she looks bad. Maybe she has fawns on the ground somewhere already and is being drawn down from nursing. Did you notice her bag?

What makes the LO believe these deer won't be susceptible to anthrax again, or is he just thinking well I have to try and rebuild herd?
            Didn't see any - she didn't look like she'd dropped yet.

Very easily could happen again with the right conditions and it'll take a few more years before the property is hunted but without bringing in new genetics the ranch would be void of whitetail.

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
            Not sure what is wrong with the doe, but she does not look good. I do not think she is pregnant. The swollen abdomen may be fluid accumulation due to whatever is wrong with her.
            She moved around well and was plenty active but she sure was close to getting some sympathy from me. Hopefully she turns out alright.

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
            Great pictures!
            Several of those deer look pretty poor, especially the doe. Sickly IMO.
            Thanks! It may be angle of the photo then but I assure you, outside of that doe, the deer are looking great. Saw some fallow and axis that are absolute pigs. Outside of roughly 20 doe and the two breeder bucks, everything there is 1-2 yrs old and looking fit.

Comment

Great photos!

Comment

Great photos

Comment

Working...
                X