Reloading Set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading Set-up

Due to having some issues with a rifle not shooting factory ammo (would not even chamber), I decided to start reloading. With the help of another gracious TBH'er, they was able to work up a load for this rifle.

Now the fun begins as I been doing a lot of reading on reloading but still have a hard time of deciding what dies I should get.

I currently have a Forster Press and Charge Master Link powder measure. Outside of that I need some dies. I was looking at the two below and would like to hear thoughts on them.

Redding
    Shop online for shotshell and metallic reloading supplies, shooting supplies, metallic presses, rifle reloading components, shotshell reloading components, shooting accessories, rifle reloading brass and Bullets.

Whidden
    Shop online for shotshell and metallic reloading supplies, shooting supplies, metallic presses, rifle reloading components, shotshell reloading components, shooting accessories, rifle reloading brass and Bullets.

Why not Forster dies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t have any experience with the 2 you mentioned.

Comment

Multiple of the custom builders use Whidden.

Comment

Whidden or Redding

Upper end redding is my preference. FL neck sizers or just straight FL with micrometer seater. Add Hornady lock rings. Whidden click adjust is easiest to control shoulder bump IMO.

Comment

If you are shooting 1 gun wanting hunting accuracy it won't make much difference. I would buy a set with Full Length sizing die. Once you get the should bump put in you won't move it much going forward for that gun.

Comment

Agree. Won't make much difference if reloading rifle loads. I have Redding, RCBS, and Lee in 308. I'm partial to the RCBS for no particular reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                If you are shooting 1 gun wanting hunting accuracy it won't make much difference. I would buy a set with Full Length sizing die. Once you get the should bump put in you won't move it much going forward for that gun.

Right now it will be one gun and plan on getting another.

I’m going to order a set of Redding.

Comment

I prefer the high end Redding’s myself but either of your options will most definitely get the job done. On the calibers I have duplicates of I have a set of dies for each gun, once set I don’t like moving things around for different guns.

Comment

I have several brands; RCBS, Forster, Redding. All are quality.
                    I didn't see the need to get the top of the line of any brand, but I have gravitated toward micrometer seating stems.

Comment

All of mine are the redding set you have linked.

One additional step I've added is a mandrel die. It's not required for hunting but gives the strangest neck and most consistent neck tension. Mine are from Sinclair.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you been able to locate primers and powder? I gave up reloading as components were just as bad as not worse than finding decent factory ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                          Have you been able to locate primers and powder? I gave up reloading as components were just as bad as not worse than finding decent factory ammo.
                          Yes sir. I was able to find pretty much everything I needed. Might of bought a little to much of stuff, but those that know me knows this is the norm.

Comment

LE wilson sizing die, your choice of mandrel body (I’m partial to Sinclair for modularity), but the Frankford Arsenal Universal Micrometer seating die, and get to loading man! Just because you’re “hunting” doesn’t mean you should settle for any lesser quality of equipment or components.

Comment

If I had a gun that wouldn't chamber factory ammo the first thing I would do is have a gunsmith check it out or send it back to the factory. Sumting wong with head space or chamber dimensions if it won't chamber factory ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X