• Show
Clear All

Log Splitter Transformation

Click image for larger version

Name:	C4F73C83-98F2-4710-917F-EFF14B6A8BAF.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	25287668

So, I’ve had this 3 point log splitter for a while now. Been under storage and never really needed to use it. Well, I have several trees that have died and my wife inherited her folks place and there are several dead trees there as well. Not counting the deer lease in east Texas. Figure there is to much wood not to make a little bit of money.
    So I’m going to convert from a 3 point to a trailer pull splitter. Already dismantled the 3 point hitch. My spindles and hubs came in today so now I can start building the trailer part. Going to make it where I can load it on my other trailer with the 4 wheeler and move it around with that. About the only thing left to buy is a motor and hydraulic pump & hoses.
    So let’s get started!!!

Gonna be a good follow. SurplusCenter.com is a good source for parts.

Comment

Going to keep an eye on this . I have a neighbor I’m trying to get a 3pt splitter from .

Comment

Well, already have a set back. My spindles and hubs came in yesterday. I didn’t open it up till a little while ago and everything is there except one spindle!!!
        Was hoping to have the axle built and have the splitter mounted on by Wednesday before I go back on shift Thursday. Don’t see that happening now.

Comment

Following this! Should be a cool one to watch come together.....

Comment

Build ideas...

My buddy has an old Bush Hog splitter similar to this...

What I thought was interesting about it was the 4"x6" tubing that the hub spindles are welded to is also the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid.

Didn't know what you had in mind as far as your direction for the build. Looking to forward to seeing how this finishes out!

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
              What I thought was interesting about it was the 4"x6" tubing that the hub spindles are welded to is also the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid.

Didn't know what you had in mind as far as your direction for the build. Looking to forward to seeing how this finishes out!
              All the store bought splitters I looked at are all like that. I picked up a small tank that I was planning on using but starting to have second thoughts. It might hold around 4 gallons but I’m thinking it might need to be bigger, being that those store bought ones hold just over 7 gallons.
              I’m gonna mount the motor on one side and the reservoir on the other. I do have a old 5 gallon propane tank that is empty that I can’t get refilled. Thought about that but not sure how I could open it up. Yeah I know, video of it if I do!!!

Comment

Name:	B384EE8D-E327-45BA-85C8-2D5A791A119E.jpeg
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	24687955

Trailer part is done other than welding on a spindle that is supposed to be on its way. Once I get that put on, I can add the hubs and wheels. Then I can mount the splitter and start building the motor rack.
                Now I’m working on a rack where I can roll a split log off to the side. This will be a detachable rack I can put up/take off as needed.
                Once I get it operating, I’m gonna build a log lifter which will be attachable as well.

Comment

Name:	4F028D5B-0F30-4B54-B333-F4082C3AC5EE.jpeg
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	24687968
                  So this is what it looks like detached.

Comment

Name:	8F8E61D7-9DD2-4848-AD3B-EF483898590A.jpeg
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	24687969

And this is what it looks like with it on.
                    On the other side is where I’m going to put the log lifter.

Comment

Lookin good, you have been busy.

Comment

Great idea for the working rack!

Comment

Name:	EE760604-419C-482D-B832-7B5878B4CDFA.jpeg
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	24688338

Trailer is done.
                          Now I have to weld a couple of pad eyes on the splitter where I can hang it from my chain fall and fit it on the trailer.

Comment

Cool build. Beats the hell outta using a wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Name:	304F706C-E500-46AC-BF36-D1BEEA02FEED.jpeg
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	24688341

Red neck engineering rat there!!!!
                              I built a A frame some years ago but it’s still set up at my in-laws place and don’t have a trailer big enough to haul it over here.
                              So, you just make due with what ya got!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X