Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2022, 08:25 PM   #1
DapperDan
Pope & Young
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tomball Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default Flying with firearms question???

Wife and I are getting ready to leave for Alaska on sep 6 and Iíve been trying to get the rules squared away in regards to flying with firearms. Both of us have hard cases. Plan is to put her rifle and ammo in an ammo box in her case and my rifle, pistol, and ammo for both in my case. I do have a couple questions though.

1) can I put the pistol ammo in the original cardboard box it came in inside my check bag or does the ammo need to be locked in a tsa approved box?

2) I was planning on using locks on her case and my case that have the same combo. Is this an issue if itís not tsa locks? Iíve read where they may cut the locks off for re-inspection and if so, it becomes an issue due to lack of locks on the case. Iíd prefer that only myself be able to open the gun case.

Any other suggestions or tips for flying with firearms/ammo?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 08:36 PM   #2
forced-2-work
Eight Point
 
forced-2-work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Kerrville
Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County
Default

I personally don't know the rules and regulations as they pertain to flying with firearms. I would suggest contacting TSA or even the airlines where you will be flying out of and see what they say. best of luck.
forced-2-work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 08:42 PM   #3
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

I have not flown with weapons since they got all squirrelly. Have you checked the rules for the airline you are using? They should have them clearly spelled out.

If you are leaving Sept 6 and are just now tryin to figure this out, well...
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #4
DapperDan
Pope & Young
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tomball Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I have not flown with weapons since they got all squirrelly. Have you checked the rules for the airline you are using? They should have them clearly spelled out.

If you are leaving Sept 6 and are just now tryin to figure this out, well...

Iíve read the rules. Just not 100% sure on the ammo and the lock situation. Iíve read that locks should be only ones that I can open with key or combo and Iíve read to have tsa locks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 08:49 PM   #5
StickFlinger
Six Point
 
StickFlinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Spring
Hunt In: SHNF/Hemphill
Default

Definitely need to be TSA approved locks, pretty sure handgun ammo needs to be in a checked in bag but it cannot be in the same case as the gun
StickFlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 08:53 PM   #6
RLUM
Eight Point
 
RLUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Montgomery
Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Iíve read the rules. Just not 100% sure on the ammo and the lock situation. Iíve read that locks should be only ones that I can open with key or combo and Iíve read to have tsa locks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not use TSA locks on your gun case. Pretty sure ammo can be in the same case as the firearm when flying in the US. Some airlines require you to let them know before you check in.
RLUM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 08:55 PM   #7
jaspermac
Ten Point
 
jaspermac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jasper, TX
Hunt In: Jasper/Doole
Default

Some airlines require a lock on your case in every spot that has a place for the lock.
jaspermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 08:57 PM   #8
Jon B
Ten Point
 
Jon B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Tx.
Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFlinger View Post
Definitely need to be TSA approved locks, pretty sure handgun ammo needs to be in a checked in bag but it cannot be in the same case as the gun
This^^^^^. I keep my pistol ammo in the original box in my checked bag. My locked hardcase with my pistol in it is in the same checked bag. I use some smaller cheap harbor freight brass locks on my pistol case and put a TSA lock on my zippers. After the first few times declaring firearms it is a piece of cake. If you have any further questions shoot me a pm with your number and I will call you. I have flown probably 25 times with a firearm.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 08:58 PM   #9
Boss Buck
Pope & Young
 
Boss Buck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nevada Tx.
Hunt In: Stephen Co.
Default

Pistol and ammo in carry on. I’m no help never fly
Boss Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 09:01 PM   #10
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young
 
Geezy Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Weatherford, Tx.
Hunt In: Wise Co.
Default

The ammo cannot be in the same case as the firearm, meaning the gun case. Although I did have an altercation in Utah over the difference between gun case and suitcase. The ammo is preferred to be in the original box but I’ve also seen it in plastic ammo boxes with no issues. I even saw it wrapped in duct tape and they got away with it. I’ve heard different opinions on TSA locks but I had them on my case and there were no issues.
Print off both the TSA regulations and the airlines regs. Study them and carry them with you in your carry on so that you can refer to them and possibly use them to argue your points if need be. I have traveled many times with rifles and pistol with no problems except one and that agent was wrong.
Now with all that being said, I have flown since the plandemic started so I’m not up to date on everything.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2022, 10:04 PM   #11
DapperDan
Pope & Young
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tomball Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default




So ammo can go in gun case with gun. Plan was to put pistol ammo in with check bag. (One less part of the foam case I have to cut. Iíd prefer to NOT use tsa locks so prying eyeballs canít get into my crap and Jack with anything along the way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 05:45 AM   #12
Tony Pic
Pope & Young
 
Tony Pic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas and NYS
Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville and Harper
Default

I have flown many times recently with firearms within the USA. Needs to be a approved TSA case...locked. I take large zip ties and zip up the case. No getting into there. Yes, ammo can travel with firearm as long as it is in factory packaging or specific carton/box designed to hold ammo. Safe travels and have fun.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 07:27 AM   #13
outlook8
Ten Point
 
outlook8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Hunt In: TX
Default

Ammo can go in the case with the firearm. Put a lock on all available locking points (can be TSA or non TSA).

I put my gun in a soft case inside the hard case. They've never asked me to open the soft case, and then you have the soft case for transport after the commercial flight.

Just be patient at the counter when checking in, every agent has a different 'skill' set when it comes to firearm rules...

outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 07:41 AM   #14
cehorn
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Hunt In: Brown County
Default

I can't help much but a story my CHL instructor told me comes to mind. Be sure to check state laws anywhere you may have a layover or possibly have to handle your bags. Hopefully you don't have to worry about it but worth checking on or being prepared for the unknown.

The story went something like this. A buddy was flying with a pistol from Texas to another northern state with reciprocating laws, etc so nothing to worry about. However, for some reason they had to make an emergency type stop in Chicago and stay the night. As we all know pistols are a big no no in Chicago. The buddy had the presence of mind do to call Texas Law Shield or whatever it is called and ask for advice. They said whatever you do don't touch the gun case but go to where the baggage comes out and make sure nobody else does. After doing this and watching his gun go around in circles as the only thing on for a bit the cops finally came over. They discussed, the cops took it to TSA office for the night and he got it on the plane the next day from them. The cops said if he had picked up his gun they would have arrested him. I'm not sure how true the story is but it sounds feasible given the state of liberals, etc.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #15
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Buck View Post
Pistol and ammo in carry on. Iím no help never fly
Öwill get you arrested and cavity searched by some dude with big fingers.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 09:57 AM   #16
roadgoeson20
Six Point
 
roadgoeson20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Allen
Default

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you prefer. If you dont have TSA approved locks on your case, its not making the flight. This is from experience. I've flown alot with firearms. The easiest is ammo in your checked bag and firearm cased by itself. I'll often pack clothes in my gun case to further pad it and get more gear to the destination. its a straight forward process. You'll check it at the desk, open it for them, sign an affidavit that goes into the case with the firearm, lock it in front of them and then it goes on its merry way. at baggage claim, it'll come off separately and each airport will have them walk it to oversize and hand it to you.

Good luck
roadgoeson20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #17
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadgoeson20 View Post
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you prefer. If you dont have TSA approved locks on your case, its not making the flight. This is from experience. I've flown alot with firearms. The easiest is ammo in your checked bag and firearm cased by itself. I'll often pack clothes in my gun case to further pad it and get more gear to the destination. its a straight forward process. You'll check it at the desk, open it for them, sign an affidavit that goes into the case with the firearm, lock it in front of them and then it goes on its merry way. at baggage claim, it'll come off separately and each airport will have them walk it to oversize and hand it to you.

Good luck
This has been our experience. Except for the TSA locks. We carry them just in case but the standard locks on the case has been fine. 4 boxes of ammo in checked bag without locks.

And as mentioned it gets easier. My 19 year old son checks and flys with a shotgun alone 3-4 times a year
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #18
WItoTX
Pope & Young
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLUM View Post
Do not use TSA locks on your gun case. Pretty sure ammo can be in the same case as the firearm when flying in the US. Some airlines require you to let them know before you check in.
This. DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS. Otherwise any TSA personnel can get into your gun case, at any time, without your knowledge.

Ammo, original case, is fine.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #19
diamond10x
Ten Point
 
diamond10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: AK
Hunt In: AK & TX
Default

You can put as many guns in a case as you can fit. Ammo can go in original box or any other aftermarket ammo case. I reload and just save a factory box and put ammo into factory box inside my gun case. Locks do not have to be TSA approved but I would carry a few in a separate bag just in case. Remember a TSA lock can be unlocked by a special key and I don't want anybody having a key to my things besides me.

Its a heck of a lot easier and less stressful than what people think.

Good luck! I'm interested to see how y'all do either stuck to the river corridor or hunting only parcels of state land.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #20
Ray McGaughey
Four Point
 
Ray McGaughey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Hunt In: Menard Co
Default

I flew to South Carolina from Houston Intercontinental for a Spring Turkey Hunt in April. TSA regs say that ammo has to be in a "factory" container. I'm a little smarter than TSA. (LOL) I packed high priced turkey ammo in the factory box & loaded 4 loose rounds of sight-in ammo in the pockets of jeans that I also packed in my gun box since I had taken my barrel off. At Houston - TSA combed through my gun box with a fine tooth comb and found the loose rounds ! They wound up taking them since I had already put my checked bag on the conveyor. They kinda gave me the stink-eye, but didn't threaten me with cavity search. When I arrived at Charleston, my gun box came out on the carousel with mine & everybody else's luggage. I wasn't overly keen on that. BUT - on the return from Charleston to Houston - No TSA agent even looked in my gun box ! I literally didn't even open it ! Complete and total opposite from what happened in Houston. When I got back to Houston, there was a bit of a panic on my part because the gun box did NOT come out on the carousel with the flight's luggage. I eventually found that it was being held in a baggage claim area and had to present ID to retrieve it. And as far as locks - I used rusty old Sesame combination locks that I scrounged up that I had laying around. One of the Houston TSA agents said "oh - those are those GOOD locks !" My advise is - if you have the need to take loose ammo - put it in your checked bag. They'll never know it's in there. I packed all my knives in my checked bag. For the record - I'm not a frequent flier. I haven't traveled with a gun since prior to 9/11. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Ray McGaughey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 04:15 AM   #21
DapperDan
Pope & Young
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tomball Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
I flew to South Carolina from Houston Intercontinental for a Spring Turkey Hunt in April. TSA regs say that ammo has to be in a "factory" container. I'm a little smarter than TSA. (LOL) I packed high priced turkey ammo in the factory box & loaded 4 loose rounds of sight-in ammo in the pockets of jeans that I also packed in my gun box since I had taken my barrel off. At Houston - TSA combed through my gun box with a fine tooth comb and found the loose rounds ! They wound up taking them since I had already put my checked bag on the conveyor. They kinda gave me the stink-eye, but didn't threaten me with cavity search. When I arrived at Charleston, my gun box came out on the carousel with mine & everybody else's luggage. I wasn't overly keen on that. BUT - on the return from Charleston to Houston - No TSA agent even looked in my gun box ! I literally didn't even open it ! Complete and total opposite from what happened in Houston. When I got back to Houston, there was a bit of a panic on my part because the gun box did NOT come out on the carousel with the flight's luggage. I eventually found that it was being held in a baggage claim area and had to present ID to retrieve it. And as far as locks - I used rusty old Sesame combination locks that I scrounged up that I had laying around. One of the Houston TSA agents said "oh - those are those GOOD locks !" My advise is - if you have the need to take loose ammo - put it in your checked bag. They'll never know it's in there. I packed all my knives in my checked bag. For the record - I'm not a frequent flier. I haven't traveled with a gun since prior to 9/11. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the insight. Iím flying out of Bush so at least Iíll know what to expect! Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 08:02 PM   #22
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

I fly to matches pretty often and have always gotten through with no problems.
You are limited to 11 lb of ammo per rifle. My PRS matches require about 13 lbs of ammo. Have not had a problem yet.

TSA locks in every hole that can take a lock. Keyed alike preferred.

Ammo can go in factory or ammo box designed for ammo in checked bag or with rifle.

I make sure there is no mag in, and remove the bolt (have a buddy that had broken off bolt knob while it was in action).

Make sure the rifle case weighs less than 50lb.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 08:04 PM   #23
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

I would also advise getting a couple of apple air tags to throw in the rifle cases. Good piece of mind.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2022, 08:33 PM   #24
CA Tallas
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFlinger View Post
Definitely need to be TSA approved locks, pretty sure handgun ammo needs to be in a checked in bag but it cannot be in the same case as the gun
This is correct.
CA Tallas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 11:34 PM   #25
meltingfeather
Pope & Young
 
meltingfeather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: austin
Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily
Default

Funny or sad the amount of bad infoó and folks doubling down on it.
Ammo in a box or case can ride with an unloaded firearm.
Gun case does not have to be ďTSA Approved,Ē just hard sided and lockable.
Any lock will do.
If the case has more than one locking point and can be pried open from one end to get at the firearm, lock multiple points.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2022, 11:34 PM   #26
meltingfeather
Pope & Young
 
meltingfeather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: austin
Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Tallas View Post
This is correct.

Actually every bit of it is dead wrong.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2022, 07:51 AM   #27
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Actually every bit of it is dead wrong.
This is correct, lol.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #28
DapperDan
Pope & Young
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tomball Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Funny or sad the amount of bad infoó and folks doubling down on it.
Ammo in a box or case can ride with an unloaded firearm.
Gun case does not have to be ďTSA Approved,Ē just hard sided and lockable.
Any lock will do.
If the case has more than one locking point and can be pried open from one end to get at the firearm, lock multiple points.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

This is my plan!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com