No announcement yet.

Need help with a Tundra axle housing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious where, it cracked? Let’s se a picture so we know what type of problem you have.

The idea of putting a different brand of rear axle in the truck, might not be a bad idea for the future. If I remember correctly Toyota uses a rear axle that is front loading, and has a third member like a Ford 9”. I have been wondering if those are part of the reason Toyotas get crappy fuel mileage. If the pinion gear is located low in relation to the ring gear like a 9”, and a pinion gear that looks more like worm gear like a 9”. Then then that is part of the fuel mileage issue with the Toyotas.
    If that is the case, having a 8.8 would help the fuel mileage and you would be able to buy parts a lot easier and cheaper, in the future. The Dana 60 is very close in size and strength to a 8.8, but parts are not as easy to find. The GM 12 bolt is also virtually identical in size and strength, but those are harder to find than a Dana 60. All three of those axles should give you near the same strength and fuel mileage, with the 8.8 being by far the easiest to find parts for, and likely the cheapest.

Comment

Originally posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
      have you checked car-part.com?
      Toyota had him all turned around. I used car-part.com to find him a bunch around his hood...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
        Toyota had him all turned around. I used car-part.com to find him a bunch around his hood...
        That is always my first place to look.

Comment

It's right where the original weld was.
          The entire bottom weld has been redone 5 or 6 times now, and at this point he's just patching over wherever it starts spitting fluid.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MadHatter; 08-11-2022, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Just put it on portals and dont worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              It's right where the original weld was.
              The entire bottom weld has been redone 5 or 6 times now, and at this point he's just patching over wherever it starts spitting fluid.
              Who woulda thought Yota buys their axles for GM

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                Who woulda thought Yota buys their axles for GM
                Sacrilege!!

Comment

Did you run it into something the 1st time, or was it a stress type fracture from flexing?

That's a weird spot to break...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                    Just one more reason I don't buy Toyotas...
                    Don't gotta worry about the axle when everything else falls apart by 100k

Dumb that they use a different axle for 2 feet of extra bed though. Kinda like ford and their 7 lug "heavy duty" f150s.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Did you run it into something the 1st time, or was it a stress type fracture from flexing?

That's a weird spot to break...
                      No clue, came off the mountain and noticed oil all over my tailgate, hitch, and bumper.
                      My guess is stress as there are no marks on the housing that would indicate a impact like that.
                      First time we welded it, it held for a year until we went last year, and it ripped open again.

Comment

This is what started the different axle scenario.
                        Toyota is still telling me 2 different housings, but no one at Toyota can tell me the difference in the two, just that they are not interchangeable lol.
                        Go figure.
                        Attached Files

Comment

If you are going to keep wheeling that thing you might want to look into trussing that thing out.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                            If you are going to keep wheeling that thing you might want to look into trussing that thing out.
                            I've looked into it, and may wind up going that route.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              No clue, came off the mountain and noticed oil all over my tailgate, hitch, and bumper.
                              My guess is stress as there are no marks on the housing that would indicate a impact like that.
                              First time we welded it, it held for a year until we went last year, and it ripped open again.

I know you want to say it.........

TOO MUCH POWER!!

Comment

Seriously strange spot to have an issue for sure. If you ever want a bullet proof rear diff checkout Currie Enterprises. They are not cheap, but they are the word in differential's.

Comment

Working...
                                X