Career Change - Firefighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career Change - Firefighter

It’s time for a career change. After looking at some different industries and even taking different aptitude tests to see what might fit me, Firefighter kept popping up in my head over time. I’ve thought about it a lot and believe it’s the career I want to pursue.

I don’t have any certs and will be looking to hire on somewhere near the metroplex (more eastern or central area).

Ive been researching and looking up what the various departments require and when testing dates are. I know the green screen has a lot of advice and I’m welcoming any and all about the process, study guides for entrance exams, etc. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Houston, get paid to get your certifications

Comment

Not sure what your timeline is....lot of guys down here join volunteer departments to get free training and certs before moving full time. It can take a while but you may be applying for a few months before you get picked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
        Not sure what your timeline is....lot of guys down here join volunteer departments to get free training and certs before moving full time. It can take a while but you may be applying for a few months before you get picked up.

Thought about that. I’m still working full time so not in a huge rush but would prefer to hire on with a department that sends me through their academy.

Comment

Are you willing to relocate? Austin, Corpus, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas. I believe they all have their own academies.

Comment

Not sure what NE texas is to you. My brother is a Capt in prosper. Ive been with Richardson for a while (PD side) if youd like to meet up and talk to any firemen (fire-people?? is that more correct )

Comment

Dont know your age but don't wait to long.

Comment

Bryan Fire Department is hiring. I’m not sure when the next entrance exam is. You can get hired with no certifications and they will pay you and pay for your classes

Comment

You can hope to get hired on with someone who will send you to an academy or you can just go to an academy. You can do it online now so still work your current job.

Comment

I would apply with all the city’s in DFW that you are qualified for and get paid while you go through the academy versus getting your own certs.

Comment

I have a buddy what just made a swap from a qc inspector to a medic . Said he wish he did it a few years ago . He is not a paramedic yet but is getting close

Comment

every department has different hiring criteria. some want you certified FF Paramedic some don't......Dallas and Fort Worth will hire without certifications and train you, pay is higher in most suburbs and TMRS is a better retirement system but most of the require you to be trained, it's alot to navigate and either way you go it is competitive and not a slam dunk to get a job even if certified due to the "quotas" the departments like to fill, even if they aren't officially stated they do exist....

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                          Not sure what NE texas is to you. My brother is a Capt in prosper. Ive been with Richardson for a while (PD side) if youd like to meet up and talk to any firemen (fire-people?? is that more correct )
                          Both of those are good as far as location goes. Seems like Prosper was one of the departments that require certs and Richardson doesn’t. I believe Richardson is having their testing soon though.

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          Are you willing to relocate? Austin, Corpus, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas. I believe they all have their own academies.
                          Not willing to relocate. That rules out everything but DFW and smaller towns in the area.

Originally posted by sleepymedic1 View Post
                          Bryan Fire Department is hiring. I’m not sure when the next entrance exam is. You can get hired with no certifications and they will pay you and pay for your classes

Just a little too far for me.

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          You can hope to get hired on with someone who will send you to an academy or you can just go to an academy. You can do it online now so still work your current job.
                          I’ve seen the online academies. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’d be a little hesitant that I wouldn’t receive the proper knowledge and training in an online setting vs a hands on class room type setting. Have you or do you know anyone that’s taken it online?

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
                          I would apply with all the city’s in DFW that you are qualified for and get paid while you go through the academy versus getting your own certs.
                          That’s the plan. Been going to the different cities websites to research the requirements.

Just out of curiosity, how difficult is it to get hired on with one of those that send you to the academy?From what I have seen and heard these departments will have hundreds of applicants for maybe 10-20 openings. Do you know if they base the interview priority based on the exam score? I’ve taken one practice test and made a 90 something on it but will be taking more if I can find them.

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                          every department has different hiring criteria. some want you certified FF Paramedic some don't......Dallas and Fort Worth will hire without certifications and train you, pay is higher in most suburbs and TMRS is a better retirement system but most of the require you to be trained, it's alot to navigate and either way you go it is competitive and not a slam dunk to get a job even if certified due to the "quotas" the departments like to fill, even if they aren't officially stated they do exist....
                          Want to elaborate on the quotas for me?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Comment

I think we have 3-4 that did the online academy. After all the classroom work is done then you schedule to be at a hands on day where you receive all you need to finish the state requirements. I believe the hands on is a week. You will need an EMT basic for most places and a lot of those classes can be done at a Juco or community college. Typically one semester i believe

Comment

Richardson, applications are open now. Test in September, no certs required. We will send you through our academy and to Paramedic school, all while getting paid. TCFP is a good website that shows lots of departments hiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X